Help Identify Tunic

miken

Military Engineer

This is the type of 5 button coat that was introduced in 1874. However this coat was made after 1884 as evidenced by the 3 buttons on the cuff (coats before 1884 only has two buttons). These coats were phased out in 1904, except for the coast artillery. These coats were issued to coast artillery at least until 1910. Your coat dates to definitely after the turn of the century, as evidenced by the chevrons.

Thanks for the information guys. Would the pants that went with them be blue also?

Mike

Mike,

Yes, however a littler lighter blue then the tunic. Since he is wearing Corporal stripes he would have a 1 3/4" white stripe down the leg of the pants. The attached pic is the same 5 button sack coat except a little earlier. This one was worn by Sgt W.W. Conner who served in Cuba with the Mass NG in 1898. Notice the chevrons as compared to your 1902 style chevrons.

Terry

post-6022-1310131930.jpg

Thanks alot for the info. What would you think the value is for this tunic. It's really moth damaged in the back.

Mike

Since he is wearing Corporal stripes he would have a 1 3/4" white stripe down the leg of the pants.

At that time, a corporal would wear a half-inch trouser stripe, with the wider stripe for sergeants and double half-inch stripes for musicians.

Best regards,

Justin B.

General Apathy
Picked this up but I have no idea what time period it's from. Need help to identify it.

Thanks Mike

post-975-1310079753.jpgpost-975-1310079778.jpg

Hi miken, really sorry that I can't make any comment on your jacket it's waaaaay out of my time sphere of collecting, and you have already had some pretty good information passed onto you anyway. ;)

The reason for my post is that I noticed your jacket in post # 1 and the jacket shown in post # 6 have the chevrons sewn on in opposite directions if anyone can pass on information as to the reason for this, thanks :think:

lewis

The one in post #6 was a different jacket posted by hawk3370 with pre 1902 style chevrons as stated in text.

General Apathy
The one in post #6 was a different jacket posted by hawk3370 with pre 1902 style chevrons as stated in text.

Thanks elbertson. I read pre 1902 but that still doesn't mean a lot to me, I was hoping to learn is the difference the width of stripe, the length of stripe or the stripe being inverted or were all three of the above the difference between pre 1902 and post 1902, :thumbsup: thanks

;)

lewis

Thanks elbertson[/b]. I read pre 1902 but that still doesn't mean a lot to me, I was hoping to learn is the difference the width of stripe, the length of stripe or the stripe being inverted or were all three of the above the difference between pre 1902 and post 1902, :thumbsup: thanks

Smaller chevrons started to be used around the time of the Spanish American War for wear on the shirt (as opposed to the blouse or tunic). The big chevrons were pretty conspicuous so the smaller size was adopted as standard. The Army's uniform board decided that the chevrons should "point up" in 1902, but as far as I know didn't disclose the reason why.

Justin B.

History Man

i believe the reason for the opposite direction of the chevrons was for Hawk to make a comparison on the pants. as they seem to be very close models.

Philip

General Apathy
Smaller chevrons started to be used around the time of the Spanish American War for wear on the shirt (as opposed to the blouse or tunic). The big chevrons were pretty conspicuous so the smaller size was adopted as standard. The Army's uniform board decided that the chevrons should "point up" in 1902, but as far as I know didn't disclose the reason why.

Justin B.

Justin, thanks for the help I'm beginning to learn something now with what you have added :thumbsup: I also enjoyed your information on trouser stripe widths in post # 8 ;)

" At that time, a corporal would wear a half-inch trouser stripe, with the wider stripe for sergeants and double half-inch stripes for musicians. "

Best regards,

Justin B.

thanks lewis