has anyone sewn their ACU's yet?

jdamaso111

jdamaso111

i just purchased the name tape and branch tape without the hook and loop on them to do this im going to go to a place and have them sewn on, i figure seeing how im only an E-2 getting my rank sewn on would be pointless now im waiting till i get my E-3, im just glad that these tapes wont be sticking to my shoulders anymore :w00t:

has anyone done this yet?

airborne1968
i just purchased the name tape and branch tape without the hook and loop on them to do this im going to go to a place and have them sewn on, i figure seeing how im only an E-2 getting my rank sewn on would be pointless now im waiting till i get my E-3, im just glad that these tapes wont be sticking to my shoulders anymore :w00t:

has anyone done this yet?

I have found that keeping you shoulders back, chest out, and doing lots of push ups will build up your chest so you won't have that "velcro" problem. ;)

I thought about sewing up a uniform for my retirement ceremony but decided against it due to the unnecessary cost. One CPT informed me that he paid $79 to order insignia and sew it up. Anyway, can't wait to see one.

jdamaso111
I have found that keeping you shoulders back, chest out, and doing lots of push ups will build up your chest so you won't have that "velcro" problem. ;)

I thought about sewing up a uniform for my retirement ceremony but decided against it due to the unnecessary cost. One CPT informed me that he paid $79 to order insignia and sew it up. Anyway, can't wait to see one.

nice one aha B)

but that seems super expensive, just to buy the name tape and branch tape it only cost me 3 bucks, rank would have been an extra 1.50 im only doing one up right now, im a weekend warrior so i figure doing them all up over a few paychecks will be the best route to go.....but he is prob accounting for skill badges and everything else as well. once i get mine sewn i will post a picture.

I'll be getting three sets done next week. The sew shop I go to at Bragg treats me right on cost. Gotta get a name tape sewn to my FLC anyway, so figured I would just get a few tops done at the same time.

Those are some rediculous costs, but I imagine they have several skill badges to be sewn as well. I just need an army tape and name tape sewn. It only cost me a buck each for my LBV and ruck to get a nametape sewn off post by Bragg, so I was really hoping for the same kind of deal. Guess I'll find out next week.

Arclight, you should be GTG at Boomerang's (Honeycutt Rd): I had 2xACUs and my PC done in there for less than $20. I only did name, US Army and rank on the ACUs, and name on my PC (rank was already sewn), for two sets of uniforms. I just removed the velcro from some insignia I had laying around.

I have seen a couple guys around Post with sewn skill/combat badges, but so far they've all looked "in-country" done. I asked one guy about his, and he'd had them sewn at Ft. Benning; they really looked Iraqi made. I've got some other uniforms I'm sorta biding my time about having sewn. I detest the velcro insignia, and so far am in the (noticeable) minority of folks with sewn insignia.

Steve

Thanks, Steve! I'll definitely hit Boomerang's if I have any problems at my usual place (just can't recall their name, except they're by Meineke on Yadkin Rd).

Gary

19delta-uav

Not sure when I will do mine but one thing is for sure, i'm using the skill badges I had embroidered in Iraq, I just love the in country made look.

I'm surprised no one has suggested sewing them on by hand...thread and needles are still fairly cheap.

I'm surprised no one has suggested sewing them on by hand...thread and needles are still fairly cheap.

Perhaps everyone wants the sewing job to be perfect? I've sewn my Boy Scout shirts with my sewing machine, always crooked.... :pinch:

Cobrahistorian

I've done the namestrip on my PC by hand. Haven't done my A2CUs yet, but will most likely not, just because I've got one set of namestrips and five sets of A2CUs. I do plan on getting some sew-on aviator wings though... We'll see.

Jon

jdamaso111

its so nice getting a call from my unit letting me know i dont have to wear a beret and i can sew these up aha

airborne1968
Perhaps everyone wants the sewing job to be perfect? I've sewn my Boy Scout shirts with my sewing machine, always crooked.... :pinch:

Army Reg states they have to be machine sewn.

Army Reg states they have to be machine sewn.

When did they start that? I know when I was in, the only thing ever machine sewn on my uniforms was the BOS and name tapes on my fatigues in Basic. I even had to purchase my own PV2 stripes and sew them on, as they didn't see fit to issue them to me.

Frankly, my time is more valuable to me than the $6 (or whatever) to get the uniforms sewn up. Add to that my utter lack of sewing skills, and it's a no brainer, at least for me.

Steve

Frankly, my time is more valuable to me than the $6 (or whatever) to get the uniforms sewn up. Add to that my utter lack of sewing skills, and it's a no brainer, at least for me.

Steve

Maybe your right...I just checked the current pay scale - PV2 pay is 6X what I got, cost of sewing appears to have only tripled. Back in my day, the cost of sewing equaled about 8 days of meals on separate rats. A couple hours of sewing back then was well worth it.

And as far as sewing goes, I can do buttons and small tears, but that's about it. And heaven forbid my wife actually use the brand new sewing machine she asked me to buy her two years ago! It's still in the original box. Prolly ought to put it up on ebay to pay for all the stitching I'm gonna need.

G

• 3 weeks later...

I've gotta crew a 2 star and colonel next week so I think I will at least sew up one set of A2CUs. I got an "unauthorized" set of senior crew wings made in Kuwait before I left just for the heck of it. I will take the velcro off and put those on.

Mike

I've gotta crew a 2 star and colonel next week so I think I will at least sew up one set of A2CUs. I got an "unauthorized" set of senior crew wings made in Kuwait before I left just for the heck of it. I will take the velcro off and put those on.

Mike

those wings are gonna look good take a photo when you get it done!

• 2 weeks later...

Well that flight was cancelled but I did just pick up my uniform from the sewing shop. Here it is. Understand that those are not official made wings. They are handmade in Kuwait over a year ago.

Mike

post-3373-1313037778.jpg

Well that flight was cancelled but I did just pick up my uniform from the sewing shop. Here it is. Understand that those are not official made wings. They are handmade in Kuwait over a year ago.

Mike

that looks really good!

funny story.............one of my NCO's at my unit was complaining about his velcro on his acu, not only was the name tape coming off but the whole piece of hook and loop that holds it on, i was standing right there he asked the NCO what the new uniform reg was and he didint know, the 1st sergeant asked me after noticing i had my tapes sewn on what the new uniform reg was and i told him what it was he then told the NCO he was ate up and i was more squared away haha.