wwii next of kin dog tag with weird chain

neilhg

I found thease dog tags at a antique store for $10 and i noticed there is somthing diffirent about this chain any ideas? it is similar to the m1940 chain but diffrent hooks and material it looks like the tags where on permently the chain seems to be wirepost-20584-1309832693.jpgpost-20584-1309832703.jpg[attachm

nt=412775:dogtag_003.jpg]

post-20584-1309832712.jpg

From http://www.militarydogtags.com/info/history/

• NECKLACE & EXTENSION Stock No. 74-N-300, adopted 1943.

• Official stocklist number + nomenclature, length 40" (distance between 2 Dog Tags 1-1/2 in) - in 1942, the first tag is to be suspended on a necklace 25" in length, while the second tag is to be fixed to a separate necklace extension not further than 2-1/2" under the first one - first models were in cotton, plastic, nylon, rayon, the official metal necklace was only introduced in 1943 (with hooks & catches) the bead type (initially sold at PXs) quickly became popular and gradually replaced the 1943 issue, it was made out of 2 lengths of stainless steel, of approximately respectively 28" and 6" in length, easy and practical for general use 2" x 1-1/8".

376th PFAB

Could it be one of the plastic issued ones like these? It may have darkened over the years to that brownish color.

post-48053-1309899953.jpg

post-48053-1309900199.jpg

General Apathy
I found thease dog tags at a antique store for $10 and i noticed there is somthing diffirent about this chain any ideas? it is similar to the m1940 chain but diffrent hooks and material it looks like the tags where on permently the chain seems to be wire

Hi neilhg, these are good to go and genuine WWII, I have had them in packs and also in individual envelopes when I ran my store, the individual packed ones had instructions on the outside, I even had individuals with envelopes marked U.S.M.C.

Good information above from both gunbarrel and 376th. :thumbsup:

When new ( or even well stored ) these were very supple but harden with age or incorrect storage.

ken

• 2 weeks later...
Could it be one of the plastic issued ones like these? It may have darkened over the years to that brownish color.

i dont think so there is a diffrent hook