Deck Jackets

ronl

I don't know how much you know about that blue jacket, but it's a relatively rare one. It was made somewhere from 1939 to 1942. The original contract for these was in 1939 and in 1942 they started making these with USN stamped on the back. In 1943 they started making them with buckles and a windflap instead of the Talon zipper on this one. The outer shell is corded cotton, the lining is Melton wool and there is a waterproofing material between them. In May of 2007 I sold one for $375 and a non-ebay dealer later told me he would have given me $500 for it:

dj1939.jpg

dj1939back.jpg

dj1939label.jpg

vintageproductions

That is a great type 42 deck jacket. Both variations of this jacket are hard to find ( this 1st pattern and the second pattern with the buckle fronts). There are also two types of this first pattern. One is the standard version and the second is the one with the water proof lining inside. No matter which version it is, they are tough to find.

I was wondering if the jackets with ziipper and buckle front are truely first & second patterns, is this just a collectors label? The reason I ask is that I have come to believe that one pattern is US navy and the other USCG.Often you find the blue deck cap without any markings on neck flap on no contract label (USCG?) as most blue caps have label and US navy on neck flap aslo recently I found a pair of blue bids identical to the US NAVY marked and contract labeled ones but with US COAST GUARD across front void of any contract label,this label is white and most definately factory applied.

The USCG is it's own cognizant bureau and have thier own specifications and funding to purchase/contract items.USCG equipment on the whole is much different than that of the US navy,they have thier own type ships,life preservers,rations,fishing kits,rafts,boats,clothing etc...some things are very similar and might be the case of the blue cold weather deck clothing jacket,bibs,cap.During the war,post blue deck clothing, the US navy took more control over the USCG,so you would have more of an intermix of items being distributed.

are thier pictures that predate WWII showing USCG and US navy personnel wearing the blue clothing? is there a differnece in the jackets?

I have read that the Navy switched from the zipper to the buckle front with flap because the zipper without flap let a lot of cold air in and salt spray getting on the uncovered zipper in cold climates caused the zipper to ice up.

The zipper front one I posted above does have the Navy label:

dj1939label.jpg

I did not make note of where I found the info about this, but here's what I wrote when I sold this in early May 2007:

This is a US Navy blue deck jacket made somewhere from 1939 to 1942. The original contract for these was in 1939 and in 1942 they started making these with USN stamped on the back. In 1943 they started making them with buckles and a windflap instead of the Talon zipper on this one. The outer shell is corded cotton, the lining is Melton wool and there is a waterproofing material between them.

I was wondering if the jackets with ziipper and buckle front are truely first & second patterns, is this just a collectors label? The reason I ask is that I have come to believe that one pattern is US navy and the other USCG.Often you find the blue deck cap without any markings on neck flap on no contract label (USCG?) as most blue caps have label and US navy on neck flap aslo recently I found a pair of blue bids identical to the US NAVY marked and contract labeled ones but with US COAST GUARD across front void of any contract label,this label is white and most definately factory applied.

The USCG is it's own cognizant bureau and have thier own specifications and funding to purchase/contract items.USCG equipment on the whole is much different than that of the US navy,they have thier own type ships,life preservers,rations,fishing kits,rafts,boats,clothing etc...some things are very similar and might be the case of the blue cold weather deck clothing jacket,bibs,cap.During the war,post blue deck clothing, the US navy took more control over the USCG,so you would have more of an intermix of items being distributed.

are thier pictures that predate WWII showing USCG and US navy personnel wearing the blue clothing? is there a differnece in the jackets?

Bob, so we know forsure the zipper jacket is US navy, do we have a picture of the contract label for the buckle front?

The only buckle front jacket label I could find online is on one of the Buzz Rickson's reproductions, but here is label from what may be the second pattern zipper front jacket, this one made when they started using the "NX" prefix - the contract number starts with "15" so it was pre-October 1942:

wwiidecknx.jpg

• 8 years later...

I just picked up some naval uniforms from a Wave and her officer husband. Among the jackets was this blue zippered deck jacket. After researching online and the forum I believe that it is a first pattern blue zippered deck jacket. There is no label but by the construction I would say that they are the same. Can anyone confirm my conclusion?

Sorry about the picture but the others are to dark with the flash. I will post others tomorrow.

post-13045-0-59425900-1475895499_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
ShooterMcGavin

It always amazed me that these are looked at as so rare and expensive considering how basic of a jacket they are (the blue deck jacket.) I had one years ago and beat it to shreds working in it and have since bought a spot on reproduction (albeit with a fleece liner instead of wool) from ATTHEFRONT.

MastersMate

Plate # 59 of the 1941 USN Uniform Regulation shows that jacket identified as Special Winter Clothing. Plate # 60 illustrates Trousers and Arctics, helmet and gloves..

The regulations refer you on to USN specifications for those particular garments..