WWI Collection

TrenchRaider1918

TrenchRaider1918

There has been a few WWI topics popping up, thats good. I thought I'd post what I'm working on here. American Infantryman, circa 1918. The collection is still in its early stages, somewhat unorganized, and I don't have a lot of room for all of it (we don't have basements in Texas). So, here's what I gathered in a little over 8 months.

post-879-1193368821.jpg

Looks awesome for early stages!! I'm still short alot of those pieces. I like the trench checkers! That's a neat piece.

Now where is that shelter half??? ;)

Does the shirt on the mannequin have any tags or stamps? I've only ever had one WWI shirt with the half-way down buttoned front. I was interested t see the variety in markings on them.

TrenchRaider1918
Does the shirt on the mannequin have any tags or stamps? I've only ever had one WWI shirt with the half-way down buttoned front. I was interested t see the variety in markings on them.

The pullover is the standard three button, makers tag present but washed out, and features a discharge chevron. So i don't know if this was prison made or not. Acquired it from Gus Radle.

Excellent collection of WWI artifacts. In 8 months? Pretty impressive. Thanks for sharing it with us. I hope more members will be encouraged to share their WWI collections with the forum. thumbsup.gif

Carl,

Firstly, I want to congratulate you on your fine collection.

Second, since I moved to Texas four years ago, I too have found that Texas is good hunting grounds for militaria of all types. I have found some really good items when I go out to "beat the bushes." I live down in San Antonio, and whenever I have a free weekend, I get in the truck, pick a rose point on the compass, and drive. I have seen some wonderful parts of the state, and met some great people--and I always come back with something for my WW1 collection.

I have generally found, that the best hunting for WW1 items is out in the small towns, off the beaten path. That is, the cities and towns that were along the old highways that began to decline after the interstate highways opened. I use an old 1938 road map to see where the old cross-roads were, and almost always, that is where I find WW1 items. Nearly every old Texas town has at least one antique store, and several junk shops. I have found good items all over.

Good luck in your collecting, and I hope to see you at the All Era Militaria show November 24 and 25 in Temple, TX.

Good Hunting!

Chris

TrenchRaider1918
Carl,

Firstly, I want to congratulate you on your fine collection.

Second, since I moved to Texas four years ago, I too have found that Texas is good hunting grounds for militaria of all types. I have found some really good items when I go out to "beat the bushes." I live down in San Antonio, and whenever I have a free weekend, I get in the truck, pick a rose point on the compass, and drive. I have seen some wonderful parts of the state, and met some great people--and I always come back with something for my WW1 collection.

I have generally found, that the best hunting for WW1 items is out in the small towns, off the beaten path. That is, the cities and towns that were along the old highways that began to decline after the interstate highways opened. I use an old 1938 road map to see where the old cross-roads were, and almost always, that is where I find WW1 items. Nearly every old Texas town has at least one antique store, and several junk shops. I have found good items all over.

Good luck in your collecting, and I hope to see you at the All Era Militaria show November 24 and 25 in Temple, TX.

Good Hunting!

Chris

Yes, I have seen many dinky antique stores around when I visit east Texas, and many more in Oklahoma. I never have the time to go into them when I'm passing through though. But one of these days I'll commit to going in to each and every one of them. Those people who run them probably don't know their value and I bet they will sell them for dirt cheap! I am also interested in the 90th division and this must be the place to find them.