USS Bon Homme Richard CVA-31

bronxboymike

• 4 weeks later...
sierra hotel
post-3212-1309788418.jpg

Nice shot sir, I as a model builder would like to have a much closer look at the bridge and starboard side details, any way you could post a much larger file size that picture please?? thankyou from Ray in Canada

bronxboymike

Hello Ray, Thanks for your interest. PM me your email address and I'll send you a larger size file of the photo. The larger images don't show up on the forum.

Regards, Mike

Nice shot sir, I as a model builder would like to have a much closer look at the bridge and starboard side details, any way you could post a much larger file size that picture please?? thankyou from Ray in Canada

• 6 months later...

...wow been away a looooong time. Sorry. Ray inCanada here...

Bonhomme Richard pic to send to [email protected]

• 2 years later...
Flashlarue

A shot from 4 April 1964 part of "Concord Squadron" Task Force 90, Indian Ocean by island Diego Sudrez, Madagascar.

post-87451-0-68119400-1399422240.jpg

Whenever I see pictures of the BHR, I like to remember a close family friend of ours. Don Munday was the "Air Boss" on the BHR from 1967-1969. I know this thread is about the BHR, but I think it is also important to remember that it is the crew that really makes the ship a success or a failure. It is the crew that gives the ship a pulse and a life. The crew is also the reason different ships take on different personalities (good and bad).

RIP "Smiley"

post-10825-0-07771400-1399461314.jpg

Whenever I see pictures of the BHR, I like to remember a close family friend of ours. Don Munday was the "Air Boss" on the BHR from 1967-1969. I know this thread is about the BHR, but I think it is also important to remember that it is the crew that really makes the ship a success or a failure. It is the crew that gives the ship a pulse and a life. The crew is also the reason different ships take on different personalities (good and bad).

RIP "Smiley"

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

. It's very important to remember that ships are just so much metal, and the crews give them life and personality. And that the crews have lives also. My dad had a good friend, who also served on the "Bonny Dick" in the early '60s. They had been Electrician strikers on the St. Paul in Shanghai in '47. They later ran into each other again on the Shangri-la (CV-38) in '55 as EM3s. My dad left the Navy for the 4 years in the AF, and Harv went on in the Navy. In '60' my dad went back to the Navy and again ran into Harv who was on the Kearsarg while my dad went to the Perkins. Harv made EMC on the Bonny Dick and was on the '64 cruise. His oldest son also went into the Navy but lost an eye in Vietnam Nam while serving as a gunner on swift boats.

• 4 years later...
Salvage Sailor

Great Photo Mike of the Korean War era USS BON HOMME RICHARD. Here's the Carrier Air Group Seven patch that goes with it.

Carrier Air Group Seven (CVG-7) (20 May 1952-8 Jan 1953) CAG CDR. Gaylord B. Brown

During the Korean War, the air group flew close air support strikes, attacks on industrial facilities and supply line interdiction missions from the deck of USS BON HOMME RICHARD (CVA-31)

Squadron Aircraft Tail Code
VF-71 F9F-2 L
VF-72 F9F-2 L
VF-74 F4U-4 L
VA-75 AD-4 L
VC-4 Det 41 F4U-5N NA
VC-33 Det 41 AD-4NL SS
VC-12 Det 41 AD-4W NE
VC-61 Det N F2H-2P/F9F-2P PP
HU-1 Det HO3S-1 UP

Photo: CAPT Gaylord B. Brown - CAG CVG-7 Legion of Merit w/V

Shot down 4 Japanese planes in WWII. 450 arrested ldgs - straight deck carriers. Carrier Air Group (Korea) & Fighter Sqdn (WWII) Commander.

Flew F2F, F3F, F4F, F6F, F8F, F9F-8, F9F-6, F9F-5, AD, F4U

CVG 7 CVA 31 KOREAN WAR 001.jpg

CVG 7 CVA 31 KOREAN WAR 003.jpg