Rifle Platoon Leader 3/D/2-5 'CAV 1970

Apache26

Thanks for your thoughts gentlemen. It's great to hear this stuff.

We do have an advisor. He will be out with us this weekend. He continued his service after Vietnam in the Nat'l Guard and retired as an E-7. He is a great sounding board and he'll act as our field first sergeant. What makes him invaluable is that he paid close attention to the stuff that reenactors need to know. He wasn't a guy who said, "Oh, I just wore Army green stuff..." and he volunteered a ton of good information.

I'll try and get in touch with more men from 2-5 CAV, either through him or my CO friend.

BTW Niner-Alpha, which unit were you in and when was your tour? I have a friend who was a platoon sergeant in the 60th IN (don't recall which BN) in 1968 - 69.

Niner Alpha

I officially belonged to the 2/4th Artillery from January of 70 when I got to Vietnam, but was attached right away after arriving to the 6/31st Infantry. This was 9th Division. I had a 13e20 MOS and after being first an RTO and then the recon sergeant I ended up FO for A 6/31 right after the Cambodian incursion in May of 70. After the last brigade of the 9th pulled out in September of 70 I went to the 101st. I belonged again to the artillery, 2/320th but was sent straight on to the 3/506 Infantry. In the 101st I got out of the field though and worked as the night shift in the battalion LNO section until my deros in December.

I have a 6/31st website I started some years ago. There are thousands of photos in the album that might be of interest to Vietnam 9th Division reenactors.

www.6thofthe31st.com