who is familar with CIA clandestine unit FRAM ?

hochiminhtrail

hochiminhtrail

I had the book Covert warrior, fighting the Cias secret war in South East Asia and china 65-67, By Warner Smith.

have you guys ever heard about the unit FRAM 16 that he mention he served with. I mean that it did not officiallly exist and that they had covert operation in China ect...

Alex

The author is a fraud and his book is a fantasy tale...

He has been exposed in a Behind the Lines magazine issue some years ago. As far as I can remember, he did served in Vietnam in the Navy but as a cook or as a clerk. When exposed with his non-combat MOS, he claimed that even his MOS was a covert... :D

hochiminhtrail

thanks Andrei, thats why i have asked because his story is like a Bond movie and it seems to be a little far fetched.

Alex

He has been exposed in a Behind the Lines magazine issue some years ago. As far as I can remember, he did served in Vietnam in the Navy but as a cook or as a clerk. When exposed with his non-combat MOS, he claimed that even his MOS was a covert... :D

• 2 weeks later...
hochiminhtrail

yes it was the China mission that was totaly unbelievable, it s really like Rambo.

The account of his one-man recon mission in China is totally ridiculous. I almost believed in the book until I reached this part.

He was a Naval officer but one source says his Southeast Asia duty was spent as Mess Treasurer at an officer's club in the Philippines. Ironically one former SEAL who wrote about the fraud, said the book probably would have been an exciting best seller if it had been presented as a fictional novel instead of as what turned out to be a phony autobiography.

hochiminhtrail

and personaly i doubt that they would have sent any US white guy up into China, i think that the US had trained local montagnards from the Lahu tribe to do cross border recon from Laos into China, so i guess a white guy if caught would have ment big trouble for the US, no real denial on that one.

Cheers

Alex

He was a Naval officer but one source says his Southeast Asia duty was spent as Mess Treasurer at an officer's club in the Philippines. Ironically one former SEAL who wrote about the fraud, said the book probably would have been an exciting best seller if it had been presented as a fictional novel instead of as what turned out to be a phony autobiography.