Sign in to follow this  
sgtbrown

Balloon Boots

In late November I picked up a pair of sheepskin-lined leather boots at an antique store. At the time, I was a long way from my reference library but thought they were probably pre-war AAF boots. I bought them and brought them home, only to learn they are definitely NOT pre-war AAF. Checking against the library, I could find no matches under any of the warring powers. Since then, I have learned the zipper pulls are faintly engraved with the name RITSCH.

Various people, especially a young lady at the Maple Leaf Up Brit/Canadian forum, have been helping me with this and have found that Ritsch was a war-era zipper manufacturer in Germany. They did provide zippers for some German equipment. So, that again opens up the German connection. Luftwaffe? Other German military? Pre-war or wartime civilian?

One other item of note. The boots have almost nothing for soles. A piece of 1/8" thick leather is all with another 1/8" layer for a heel. These boots are not designed to be walked in outside. Indoors or as liners to other footwear.

post-81-1167955484.jpg

Learn to ride hard, shoot straight, dance well and so live that you can, if necessary, look any man in the eye and tell him to go to Hell! US Cavalry Manual, 1923

WWII APS

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gif

donation2009.gifdonation2011.gif

**PLEASE NOTE: THIS COMMUNITY MEMBER HAS SADLY PASSED AWAY**

Can't say for sure what your boots are, but the only time I have seen similar soles is on a pair of WWI U.S. balloon boots. Less chance of static electricity or kicking up a spark around the hydrogen gas. Does anyone know what the Zepplin crews of the '30's wore when working up in the gas area?

donation2015.gif

There is something I never thought of.

Learn to ride hard, shoot straight, dance well and so live that you can, if necessary, look any man in the eye and tell him to go to Hell! US Cavalry Manual, 1923

WWII APS

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gif

donation2009.gifdonation2011.gif

**PLEASE NOTE: THIS COMMUNITY MEMBER HAS SADLY PASSED AWAY**