1st Pattern M43 Shovel cover

king802

Now this is not my cover but has been in my Fathers collection for over 40 years. It's a First pattern M43 Shovel cover, however, there are no US markings and it's also completely tan. Material feels like the same stuff they make USMC canteens from.

Never come across another like it. USMC made ?

Rich

post-1878-1309725294.jpg

The cover doesn't have the typical USMC hooks, so it's not Depot made ... and I've not heard of specific USMC M43 covers contracts :think:

'Flage Guy

Are there any maker stamps? Better check it over real good, inside and out!

Corpsmancollector

Rich, I'm stumped. Looks like a legit example and if your Father has had it for that long it's unlikely to be a 'repro' as such. I'll watch this thread with anticipation.

Will

craig_pickrall

I was hoping someone would jump in with an explanation on this cover. I wanted to hear it was rare or experimental.

Since no one has offered up an opinion I will tell you what I have always thought.

I have had one of these covers a very long time. Not really sure how long. Mine is OD7 rather than the tan color that I think the posted sample is. It is made of soft canvas no where as stiff as issue canvas covers. I have always thought it was an after market cover for sell in surplus stores. When i got my cover the military was still using the folding entrenching tool. Surplus stores sold foreign made (Asian) folding shovels and this style cover because there were not enough true surplus shovels coming thru the pipe line to meet demand. This was in the day when many a family car had a folding shovel in the trunk ready to help dig out of a snow bank, soft sand or mud.

Craig,

Would you be kind enough to post a picture of your example. Is it also a 1st pattern style cover ?

There are no markings at all on the one my Father has. This one is also made of a softer material.

Rich

craig_pickrall

Mine looks just like yours except it is OD7 in color. There are no markings of any type. It is buried in a box and would take a lot of digging to find. At the present time I do not have time available to dig it out. I have to many irons in the fire.

Rich,

Just out of curiosity, are there any markings on the snap? Some of the manufacturing stamps are on the inside and are quite small.

Tim

• 1 month later...
combat-helmets
The cover doesn't have the typical USMC hooks, so it's not Depot made ... and I've not heard of specific USMC M43 covers contracts :think:

There are indeed USMC M43 cover contracts. Albeit post WW2, I know there are at least two, 1952 and 1953 dated , USMC stamped. All others (WW2 and post WW2) are all "US" stamped pieces used by all services...

There are indeed USMC M43 cover contracts. Albeit post WW2, I know there are at least two, 1952 and 1953 dated , USMC stamped. All others (WW2 and post WW2) are all "US" stamped pieces used by all services...

You're right ... I meant no WW2 USMC M43 E-tool covers ;)

• 2 years later...
ThompsonSavage

Were the British ever awarded a contract to produce M1943 shovel covers? I know they made the M1910 shovel covers, axe and pick mattock covers. But the M43...?

The one I saw on ebay 10 years ago was just like this but was marked with the US with the British made markers name inside.

I would guess they did or did them up for sample trials

Craig