F-4s at Korat

ikar

teufelhunde.ret
Great Pics! Love the F-4... and its distinct sound!

DITTO! nothing like the sound of those smoke'n J79's. I believe there are still several hundred in service around the world a half century after production began.

CorsairAce

There is one flying in civilian hands owned by the Collings Foundation. It tours with their A-4.

m1ashooter

Great shots. Who flew the the F4 with the six mig stars on her? Ritchie is the leading USAF Ace with 5 kills.

That's 463. If you notice, there's also a drone on the splitter vane. I haven't been able to find out the story behind it.

scan0130-3.jpg

scan0131-3.jpg

SAC, Peace is our profession, war is a hobby.

CorsairAce

The 6 kills might be 6 kills credited to the plane and not a particular pilot/RIO. It could have been a shared plane.

• 2 weeks later...

I was so sad the day I found out that the F-4 was being retired. It has always been my favorite jet fighter. It was the first model plane I ever built. Awesome photos. Thanks for sharing.

Cobrahistorian
From what I've heard they gave it a incorrect paintjob.

Doesn't surprise me at all!

• 2 months later...

When I was a little boy I used to visit my dad on the airfield in Beeville, TX. Not only did I get to see those up close and personal. I'll always remember my dad cautioning me about the ejection seat when I was sitting it one inside a hangar. Along with the A-4 and T-2 Buckeyes I'll always have a soft spot for the Phantom. Definitely built many a model of them.

Nothing like a flight of them going over. Talk about loud.

I grew up in Austin where there were plenty of RF-4s around. I had forgotten their sound until I heard the Collings jet in Houston. Very distinctive.

Great photos! Thanks for sharing!

When I was living in Hawaii, the Air National Guard was still equiped with F-4's... I agree, a very distinctive sound that I can still hear in my mind today.