Navy Blue Webgear

gunbarrel

I'm starting this topic as results of a comment on another topic. If you have any U.S. blue webgear, please, post it here.

This is a WWI M-1910 B.A.R. belt converted to a M-1937 belt. It was dyed blue, supposedly for USN use.

The belt was converted to a M-1937 model by removing the original .45 pouch and replacing it with another B.A.R. pouch. The blue pocket flap was also replaced. The belt is marked on both sides on the back "Plant Bros. 1918." This belt has the folded pocket flaps with the exception of the replaced pocket, which has the round, taped pocket.

post-70-1309638888.jpg

craig_pickrall

I know of two threads on blue 10 pocket cartridge belts and one or two threads on the pre 1900 blue cartridge belts with bullet loops. Only problem is I don't know how to find them with a search. That is the only blue gear I remember seeing here.

I know of two threads on blue 10 pocket cartridge belts... Only problem is I don't know how to find them with a search. That is the only blue gear I remember seeing here.

Craig,

I found them. Here they are:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...t=0&start=0

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=85836

RustyCanteen

Interesting pieces in all the threads.

It's very hard to say what the origin of the dye job was, I've seen and heard of some similar things done in the 1960's by the AF guys. But it also apparently happened/could happen to a very small extent in the surplus market since there were tons of that "ugly old khaki" surplus equipment, and people tried almost everything to get it to sell better. It wasn't collectible then.

Much like the non issue pistol belts being sold at the time, some of them came in different colors.

Whatever the origin, it's not something you see everyday.

it also apparently happened/could happen to a very small extent in the surplus market since there were tons of that "ugly old khaki" surplus equipment, and people tried almost everything to get it to sell better.

Rusty,

It doesn't sound like Bayonetman's father picked up the 10-pocket cartridge belt at an Army/Navy surplus store...

RustyCanteen

No it doesn't, and there could be who knows how many reasons something was dyed from it's original color.

My post was more about what some of them could be. :think:

whistlinwolf

Mine looks like it has always been that colour and not dyed.

Not the best of pics.

Happy 4th of July guys.

DSCF8916.jpg

'Flage Guy

Really neat stuff, gentlemen! :w00t: Makes me wish I'd have pulled some of them blue/white Cartridge and Pistol Belts out of the old surplus stores back in the day! :crying:

And happy 4th of July, everyone :salute:

whistlinwolf

Picked mine up on E bay, no one bid on it due presumably to its colour !!

A good £8 spent. :thumbsup:

'Flage Guy
Picked mine up on E bay, no one bid on it due presumably to its colour !!

A good £8 spent. :thumbsup:

A bargain, if you ask me! The "it's-not-the-right-color" syndrome suffered by many collectors has been a great service to me in enhancing the O.D. #7 and multi-colored "transitional" web gear pile at pretty decent prices :lol:

whistlinwolf

It never fails to amaze me how so many people ,who should be a little more open minded, can be so blinkered.

Still its their loss.

Our surplus shops were only ever overflowing with British 37 pattern webbing, must have been great to be able to just take your pick of US kit.

• 3 weeks later...
Marchville1918

I remember in the 1970's there was a man called J De Christopher who put out a catalog which had all sorts of militery gun parts and old leather and web gear (the kind of stuff you would kill for now). The story I always heard was that he had bought what was left of Bannerman's. The point of this is that I remember his catalog had Blue WW1 era 1910 Mills belts. I remember it because I was going to buy one and never go around to it until they were all gone. So these belts go back a long way and must surely be for use by the US Navy. I have never seen any other blue gear like canteen covers or first aid pockets for use with these belts and therefore I would conclude they must have been for cerimonial or parade use (not landing parties). The belts themselves are not common but you do see them and the failure to ever see any other blue gear makes me think it was just never made and only the blue belts were ever used. Probably as a contrast with the white summer uniforms.