Type G-1 auxiliary gunner helmet

Tseuh

Hello,

Here is a fiber helmet that was supposed to be worn by USAAF gunner over their flight helmets to avoid bumping in thier narrow turrets.

5886758863_c91513775f_z_d.jpg

5886758873_f7d7ac70b0_d.jpg

This kind of helmet can be seen in some reference books ("Vintage flying Helmets" by Mick Prodger, "USAAF equipment" by Sweeting...).

Has anyone here seen this helmet worn by an USAAF crewman in a wartime picture ?

Thanks,

Tim

Nice example of a rare item. I'm surprised it hasn't got more of a reaction from Forum members. I've been collecting U.S. items since the '70's and I've only come across one of these things. I can't recall seeing any photos of them in use. I don't think they were that popular with the troops.

History Man

that would explain the mint condition :w00t: very nice item as usual Tim. :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

Philip

General Apathy
Nice example of a rare item. I'm surprised it hasn't got more of a reaction from Forum members. I've been collecting U.S. items since the '70's and I've only come across one of these things. I can't recall seeing any photos of them in use. I don't think they were that popular with the troops.

Hi Tim, I think I have to echo gunbunny's comments, nice item you have and in the best of condition.

ken

A very rare helmet, seldom seen so therefore hard to give a market value. This helmet was standardized on 26 August 1940. The original models of the Boeing B-17C bomber were equipped with only a forward firing .50 MG's in the nose, a dorsal turret, and blisters on either side of the waist. Doctrine of the time was that the four engined bombers would be faster than most pursuit planes so defensive armament wasn't really needed. Events in the opening days of WWII in Europe showed the error of this policy and in late 1940 extra guns were being retrofitted into existing B-17's and new production included a tail gun. Later, with the invention of the Sperry-Rand electric ball turret a belly gun position and then nose or 'chin' mount were added. The original tail gun position was extremely cramped and the gunner in fact had to sit on a modified bicycle seat where he was subject to the severe, and sometimes violent, movements of the aircraft in flight. The cramped confines of the tail gun position meant that the gunner was often thrown up or side to side resulting in injuries to the head and it was for this reason that the protective helmet was designed. Later production models of the B-17 had design modifications which included a somewhat roomier compartment for the tail gunner so the helmet became unnecessary. Very few of these helmets were made and even fewer survive, you are fortunate to have such a pristine example in your collection.

Larry

they could be like me, never seen one before so will just wait till someone who has comments, i will know one if i see it now (looks like i might stumble across a D bail before one of these though), pretty neat. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I'm back with this helmet. Since my first post, the halmet has arrived home so I've made some more pics.

I'm still looking for wartime pics showing how this helmet was worn.

There are 4 small "lift the dot" snaps, but where were they supposed to be snapped ?

I've never seen any flight helmet with the male part of these snaps. :think:

6015530576_5867b75602_b_d.jpg

6014979347_f9a615fa0d_b_d.jpg

6015530090_0db8c3776d_b_d.jpg

Tim

Hello,

I'm back with this helmet. Since my first post, the halmet has arrived home so I've made some more pics.

I'm still looking for wartime pics showing how this helmet was worn.

There are 4 small "lift the dot" snaps, but where were they supposed to be snapped ?

I've never seen any flight helmet with the male part of these snaps. :think:

6015530576_5867b75602_b_d.jpg

6014979347_f9a615fa0d_b_d.jpg

6015530090_0db8c3776d_b_d.jpg

Tim

I believe these were used prior to the introduction of the leather A11 flight helmets, could be wrong on that though. To the best of my knowledge these were worn directly on the head and the straps with snaps were to attach the oxygen mask to the helmet.

Larry

History Man

thats an awesome set up with the electronics :thumbsup: :thumbsup: how do you find all of these WW2 AAF items :lol:

Philip