Use of USMC Boyt M-41 packs

OD MAN

Hello,

Were 1943 dated USMC Boyt upper and lower M-41 packs common issue from '43-'45 or were Marine mostly issued 1942 dated Boyts and early depot made packs?

'

Just wondering what would be most appropriate for a Marine serving '44-'45.

Thanks

Justin

Check out pictures from Iwo Jima and other islands, alot of guys have the boyt43, 42 packs on. Not the one with the rivets, but witht he reinforced straps running down the bag. That's at least what I've observed.

Sam

Check out pictures from Iwo Jima and other islands, alot of guys have the boyt43, 42 packs on. Not the one with the rivets, but witht he reinforced straps running down the bag. That's at least what I've observed.

Sam

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the info. I was just wondering if anybody knows how much 1943s were issued during the war vs. early examples. They seem to be much, much more common and generally in good condition...so it made me wonder.

Justin

Hi,

there one reason why you see more Boyt's pack ... it's that Boyt Harness manufactured a lot more P41 haversacks than the Phil.Depot ;)

The early Depot made packs are generally used and salty because they saw much use, and you seldomly see one mint or nearly mint ... and I don't even mention the highly praised D-buckles one :crying:

The only pattern that saw limited use is the last one, with roll top, but you can see some ... however, the Depot began fabrication of this late pattern during the 1943-44 fiscal year and Boyt later in 1944.

To conclude, any pattern of flap style P41 haversack was intensively during the Pacific campaigns, you can't go wrong ... early patterns but also late ones with reinforcement straps.

The USMC P41 pack could alone be an entire subject of collection :blink:

• 5 years later...

Hi,

there one reason why you see more Boyt's pack ... it's that Boyt Harness manufactured a lot more P41 haversacks than the Phil.Depot ;)

The early Depot made packs are generally used and salty because they saw much use, and you seldomly see one mint or nearly mint ... and I don't even mention the highly praised D-buckles one :crying:

The only pattern that saw limited use is the last one, with roll top, but you can see some ... however, the Depot began fabrication of this late pattern during the 1943-44 fiscal year and Boyt later in 1944.

To conclude, any pattern of flap style P41 haversack was intensively during the Pacific campaigns, you can't go wrong ... early patterns but also late ones with reinforcement straps.

The USMC P41 pack could alone be an entire subject of collection :blink:

Would you say that the pack at http://imgur.com/a/QxYCX is a second pattern (late WW2) P-41 upper?

• 2 months later...