Model 1894 .38 Mills loop belt info needed

NorwichCadet

NorwichCadet

I have 2 M1894 Mills 38 ammo belts. I have seen these with grommets to insert brass hangers to carry equipment. However, mine have no grommets at all. Who were these meant for and who were those with grommets meant for. Also, one is khaki and the other is navy blues. What type/branch units used the different colors? You will note one is marked "R.L. Hart II, '04". Any suggestions on how to research who he was? THANKS

post-9906-0-87131600-1401241329.jpg post-9906-0-90540700-1401241314.jpg post-9906-0-51092000-1401241342.jpg

New Romantic

I'll look at one of my books and get back to you about the lack of grommets.

As for the blue vs. tan, blue was the original color of the belts from 1894 up to 1899. The blue belts were made to match the color of the blue fatigue blouse. The blue belts could also be worn with the dress uniform for parades and inspections. About the time the Army officially adopted a khaki uniform in 1898 it was decided that belts should be made in tan. That was for both revolver and rifle cartridge belts. Going back to a tan belt simplified belt production and also prevented the belts from becoming unsightly as they faded.

New Romantic

I looked at "Arming at equipping the United States Cavalry, 1865-1902" by Dusan Farrington. It has a few pages on the revolver belts as used by enlisted men and officers. I didn't find any info on why your belts lack the grommets, but's here what I did find out.

Your belts with the brass ends are 1895 and later. The earlier belts had sewn or leather reinforced ends.

The belts were made to replace the ensemble of the 1874 pattern leather belt with cartridge box.

New Romantic

Photos of belts with grommets.

The first is the pre 1895 variation with grommets for the equipment hangers. The hangers were for the saber straps as seen and also a wider hanger was worn on the right hip for the revolver holster. Photos from McPheeter's Militaria.

post-599-1309534962.jpg

post-599-1309534975.jpg

New Romantic

Finally here's a very late variation of the revolver belt from the early 1900's. The only grommets present are two on the back for the experimental first aid pouch which would be adopted as the M1904.

post-599-1309535569.jpg