5307th patch and Merrill's Marauder scroll

JerryK

Hello,

I was in an antique shop today and saw on an American Legion hat with a 5037th patch with a separate scroll that said Merrill's Marauders. Unfortunately I am away from home and don't have a camera with me. The patches are sewn on the hat and they look to be cut edge patches, but I can't see the reverses. Did they make a two piece patch for the WW2 period?

Thanks, Jerry

There were theater made versions of the 5307th and MARs task force without the tab, but without a photo, it is impossible to tell you what the patch actually was.

-Ski

It is my experience and understanding that the term Merrill’s Marauders was not used until after the campaign and more of a reunion or collectors type patch as the term was never used / worn by the members of the unit in the period. Clear as mud? In other words if it says Merrill's Marauders it was produced after the fact, call it what you may. On the other hand the Mars Task Force was used/worn during the period. Now you get into whether the vet of Merrill's Marauders had it made in theater after the campaign, which is impossible to prove without documentation from the original owner/vet.

Dern, I am confusing myself! :think:

Hello,

I found this at an antique shop while on vacation. Nothing on the hat glows. The patches are cut edged and the arc reminds me of the 82nd Airborne arc in both material and color. The patches are sewn to the hat so I can't see the backs. There were also two clutch back DUIs that I assumed were maybe reunion pieces. They were not attached to the hat. The CIB is a short post sterling.

post-213-1309395318.jpg

The patch is a Patch King version of the patch that was cut down, unfortunately. Either way, that is a great hat!!

-Ski

post-3043-1309396563.jpg

The patch is a Patch King version of the patch that was cut down, unfortunately. Either way, that is a great hat!!

-Ski

Look again. As indicated above, the tab in fully embroidered cut-edge. Tab probably cut from the patch next to it.

Look again. As indicated above, the tab in fully embroidered cut-edge. Tab probably cut from the patch next to it.

No mistake, I mentioned that the patch was cut down, i.e. the tab came from the patch. The patch on the hat is the same one I show.

-Ski

• 2 years later...