Please help ID

federicobernacca

federicobernacca

Hi, please I need your help for these patches I found during my last visit to Berlin. In particular, the EWU patch (Electronic Warfare Unit? Eastern Washington University ROTC Program?), The apparently OPFOR red-yellow full color patch, and what it seems a 5th RCT engineer patch. The others I believe are quite common.

Thanks in advance!

post-6700-1309344879.jpg

The EWU is probably for Eastern Washington University. I had a Eastern Washington State College patch I had questions about and wrote their college and they said my example was pre-60s before they became a university. The color scheme, the sword and the flames, are all elements of my patch too, but a different design.

The one marqued "Strike" is the 502th PIR DUI insignia's symbol. But this one is a patch (seems small) so I don't know what it is used for sorry.

Aury :thumbsup:

Hi, please I need your help for these patches I found during my last visit to Berlin. In particular, the EWU patch (Electronic Warfare Unit? Eastern Washington University ROTC Program?), The apparently OPFOR red-yellow full color patch, and what it seems a 5th RCT engineer patch. The others I believe are quite common.

Thanks in advance!

The large schild with strike swiftly is a varient of the 70th tank/armored battalion pocket patch, it would be normaly seen with out the strike swiftly scroll.It would (provided it's not a repro)been worn anytime between the mid 50s to mid 60s say 1966-67. The 5th Rct patch on the other hand is a patch i never seen, the ones that have allways been depicted are either plain or with crossed rifles or with a communication's lighting bolt, here we see an engineer castle, if this type was worn it would have been worn by the 72nd engineer company which was a componante of of this unit. And having said that (if it is a original piece and not a repro) it would im believing be a rare patch indeed. the tiny 502nd patch would be the type that would be worn sewn to the scarves that where in vogue in the mid 50s to say the late60s possibily the early 70s. here it would of been worn on an infantry blue scarve, these scaves where a kind of bib like affair that would be secured around the neck by strap/strip that snaped together and with the bib portion hanging down would be tucked under and down into the front of the uniform. It was worn with fatiques , the khaki uniform, the OD eisenhower class A uniform, and later the Army green class A uniform, it was considered a special dress embelishment that would be permited to worn for special occasion's even when worn with fatiques. The scarve was made in most colors of the various branches of the army, and quite a few units combat or otherwise had miniature cloth patches made in exact duplicates of their metal unit crest's to be sewn dead center on these scarves.

vostoktrading

That USAE Berlin patch looks, from here, like German made. If you show the back, could be more certain. Nice.

federicobernacca

I would like to thank you all for your kind and useful replies, I understand I missed to put a picture of better quality and especially to show you the back of the patches, so there you are, the front....

post-6700-1309448581.jpg

..... and the back

On the back of that armored pocket patch it is written 70thACR which stand's for armored cavalry regiment, this is a wrong description put there, at no time was this unit redisignated a armored cavalry regiment, by the back it appears to be a mid to late 1960s example. The 5th RTC is a tough one to tell as it appeares to have the reminante of cardboard glue to it. it might be a original one but it would have to be tested by you.

federicobernacca
On the back of that armored pocket patch it is written 70thACR which stand's for armored cavalry regiment, this is a wrong description put there, at no time was this unit redisignated a armored cavalry regiment, by the back it appears to be a mid to late 1960s example. The 5th RTC is a tough one to tell as it appeares to have the reminante of cardboard glue to it. it might be a original one but it would have to be tested by you.

Thanks a lot for your for sharing your experience. What do you think about the OPFOR one? I've never seen a full color one.

Thanks a lot for your for sharing your experience. What do you think about the OPFOR one? I've never seen a full color one.

In this iam totaly unfamilier.

son of desertrat

I think the USARMY tape is interesting. Since it has A24 on the part thats folded over.

Keenan

I think the USARMY tape is interesting. Since it has A24 on the part thats folded over.

Keenan

That i think was the manufacturer code of the maker, thus making it a 1965-67 made item this is the only explanation , BUUT there is no A24 listed in the code list's there s a A 23 and an A 25 no A 24.