John Wayne P-38 C Rat Can Opener

Lance0906

Like millions of other I had my P-38 "John Wayne" from a box of C-Rations, 1965. In writing a book about USAF uniforms (Into The Blue, Amazon) I included a discussion about Dog Tags and one of the statements was how the dog tag chain held many personal items from a P-38 to religious or peace symbols. Never did I think of how the can opener received it's name P-38. There is also a larger broth from WW2 called a P-51. Being AF I thought of the P-38 Lightening and the P-51 Mustang and didn't give it any more thought.

Today a WW2 friend of mine asked, "You know how they got their names, don't you?" No! He told me that it was because the P-38 took 38 cuts to open the can lid! Then he told me the P-51 was for the 10-N-1 rations which were the larger cans and naturally took 51 actions to peel back the lid. I was dumb struck that I never considered it. I haven't had a chance to try it but plan to experiment on the proper size cans.

Question, anybody ever hear of this? How about any other stories you've heard. Let me know if you have. I'm in the middle of vol 2 and it would make a nice follow up.

Thanks to all

Lance

DutchInfid3l

I had heard the same explanation.

Wikipedia has this to say;

One rumored explanation for the origin of the name is that the P-38 is approximately 38 mm (1.5 in) long. This explanation also holds for the P-51, which measures approximately 51 mm (2.0 in) in length. U.S. Army sources, however, indicate that the origin of the name is rooted in the 38 punctures around the circumference of a C-ration can required for opening.

Maybe it refers to the number of puncture wounds the average wearer got on his chest when the things partially opened against your body. :D

My wife always made me take off my dog tags because of the puncture issue.

General Apathy
Maybe it refers to the number of puncture wounds the average wearer got on his chest when the things partially opened against your body. :D

My wife always made me take off my dog tags because of the puncture issue.

Hi Devious

I can follow your wife's point on this issue, gentlemen should always be considerate, women have soft and tender chests :blush::lol::lol:;)

lewis

I've heard the "number of punctures to open a can" explanation for the last 35+ years. If it ain't fact, it's at least a very persistent rumor.

I used these 1966-1970.

I have one on my key ring.

I never once heard anyone call them "John Wayne" or even "P38."

We just said "can opener."

An overlooked related item is the indestrucatble and venerable white plastic spoon supplied inside each meal of "C's"

A must for every GI shirt pocket in case you run into some chow or need to tunnel oiut of somewhere.