Please show us your Fake tiger stripes uniforms

hochiminhtrail

hochiminhtrail

Hy i just wanted to open this thread, to see if some of the advanced collectors have any pictures from fake Tiger stripes being sold to decieve collectors, or fake tiger stripes made out of original clothing material.

Or any other ARNV or Us adviser camos that are faked.

Thanks

Alex

I have seen plenty of original "put together" tigers with fake or original insignia, but no complete jackets or pants made from original material that I know of or could identify anyway. I am sure that there must be some out there, but if they have the right style of sewing, construction and buttons they would be impossible to detect.

The reproduction tigers have so far been fairly easy to detect.

CB

NobleLoyalGSD

These are reproductions of what are commonly referred to as "gold" pattern. They were made by MASH Co., Japan and are considered by some to be among the finest repro tigers out there. They were never intended to decieve anyone and can sometimes fetch prices almost as high as originals if the size is right.

Enjoy!

Jeff

post-1759-1193336565.jpg

hochiminhtrail

so how do you recognize them , buy the etxture of the clothing material ? the stamping??

Cheers

Alex

These are reproductions of what are commonly referred to as "gold" pattern. They were made by MASH Co., Japan and are considered by some to be among the finest repro tigers out there. They were never intended to decieve anyone and can sometimes fetch prices almost as high as originals if the size is right.

Enjoy!

Jeff

NobleLoyalGSD

As far as distinguishing these from originals, I'm not 100% sure. I do know that these are MASH Co. repros. I've heard that there are subtle differences in the pattern. The back edges of the buttons do not have "ground" edges, whereas the real ones I've examined did have ground edges.

That's about all I know. Need some experts to jump in here....

(by the way, the US Army tape is authentic)

vintageproductions

The MASH Co made two different types of tiger stripe patterns over the last ten years. They did the gold pattern ( type I and type II) first. They did shirts, pants, berets, and two types of boonie hats. The first run was made really good but the problem was the person who printed the material was making them with today's technology, and when washed they barely faded.

The second pattern they made was the silver pattern. Again they did shirts, pants, berets and two types of boonie hats. This pattern the owner of MASH tracked down a compnay that printed tiger stripes in the 60's and had them print the material. When these were washed they faded properly and look incredible. MASH never made them to decieve, but MASH is very proud of all the different remakes they do, and they aren't happy until they are made perfect. This run of silver tiger stripes is the only set of uniforms that MASH ever did, that they actually did a second run of them. Both runs of the silver patterns sold out within a month or two of them being made. Today they only have left M-65 compass pouches and they are staring to use some left over scrap material to possibly make helmet bags, but that is still in the sample stages. They will not be making any of the tiger stripe uniforms again. The main reason is the factory owner who did the last run has died, and the family is not interested in doing them anymore.

On a side note, when someone has a unworn set of the MASH tigers , we have seen them sell on Ebay at around $500.00, even as repros. A couple of years ago we saw Richard Johnson pay almost $800.00 for a set of used MASH tigers. After he bought them and everyone told him they were fake, he came up with all kinds of stories about how they were made, etc....It was all wrong. We helped MASH and supplied all the samples that were used to make these copies, so we know all the ins and outs of how these were made. There is only one very minor tell tale sign on the silvers to know if they are a MASH copy, and it is a slight blurr in some of the black stripes in the patter.

As per other fakes being made, there are the VNMC patterns you see all over Ebay. Some various gold patterns coming out of Hong Kong. The Real McCoy in Japan just did another gold set, but none are the guailty that MASH did. There are also fake ARVN Ranger camo sets being made today in Vietnam along with some French pattern camos.

hochiminhtrail

well here i am wearing Original tiger stripe cloth purchased in saigon in 1996( If i m not wrong it s Vnmarines patern?), it has been tailored with original cloth, had quater master stamping, was oblviously large size, the seewing was really bad. big chunks of clothing material left inside pants.

cost at that time 40$, what i thought to be expensive.

if the sweeing would have been better i think it would have fooled everybody.

Cheers

Alex

As far as distinguishing these from originals, I'm not 100% sure. I do know that these are MASH Co. repros. I've heard that there are subtle differences in the pattern. The back edges of the buttons do not have "ground" edges, whereas the real ones I've examined did have ground edges.

That's about all I know. Need some experts to jump in here....

(by the way, the US Army tape is authentic)

vintageproductions

tsdetrl.JPGtsdetcop.JPG

the photo on the left is a real silver pattern the one on the right is a MASH. You may be able to see the blurr.

hochiminhtrail

yes i can see the blur on the black stripes.

Alex

post-492-1193338639.jpgpost-492-1193338651.jpg

the photo on the left is a real silver pattern the one on the right is a MASH. You may be able to see the blurr.

hello,

I think when you have US-XL or A-XL tiger stripe suits, you must be careful, these sizes are extremely rare (and Asian XL never existed and personnaly I didn't see any US-XL since 5 last years when I was buying TS), you must be aware that they are maybe repro before buying.

Other repro made in HK right is quite easy to see because of the material is likely blended polyester + cotton and the black stripes don't fade to purple but almost to grey.

I will try to post some of the repro I have had next days

Cheers

yes i can see the blur on the black stripes.

Alex

hochiminhtrail

Thanks Copran

Alex

hello,

I think when you have US-XL or A-XL tiger stripe suits, you must be careful, these sizes are extremely rare (and Asian XL never existed and personnaly I didn't see any US-XL since 5 last years when I was buying TS), you must be aware that they are maybe repro before buying.

Other repro made in HK right is quite easy to see because of the material is likely blended polyester + cotton and the black stripes don't fade to purple but almost to grey.

I will try to post some of the repro I have had next days

Cheers

hochiminhtrail
i think that shops in Bangkok or Saigon must produce some very good copies, trying to deceive people. Because they still have original clothing material.

But i also think that there is some absolutly great stuff over there (Asia) ,and i guess you just need to look hard and take your time

Alex

yes i see what you mean with the turning Grey.

A pictures of the repro VNMC second pattern on Ebay made from HK, you can easily see the truncated stripe on the trident, in the real VNMC tiger, the trident has its 3 peaks.

Hope that help

post-1523-1193343384.jpg

hochiminhtrail

and if see correct this one only has 2

A pictures of the repro VNMC second pattern on Ebay made from HK, you can easily see the truncated stripe on the trident, in the real VNMC tiger, the trident has its 3 peaks.

Hope that help

hochiminhtrail

wel to be honset guys i have learned a lot in the last few posts, i enjoy it very much , i ll hope it s not a privat lesson for me to learn the basics of TS and that other enjoy the thread. thumbsup.gif

Cheers

Alex

I too would also like to thank those who took the time time to post reproduction examples.

Very informative, interesting and helpful.

Thanks again,

Patrick.

Hi ,

A set made from the Tiger Stripe repro from Thailand, even a Tailor tag was added to deceive the buyer. The pattern looks like a mixt between tadpole Pattern and John Wayne pattern. It s different from the Tiger Stripe product TS.

post-1523-1193416608.jpg

post-1523-1193416615.jpg

hochiminhtrail

is this one cotton or a mix with synthethics ?

or can did you recognize it just by the pattern?

Alex

Hi ,

A set made from the Tiger Stripe repro from Thailand, even a Tailor tag was added to deceive the buyer. The pattern looks like a mixt between tadpole Pattern and John Wayne pattern. It s different from the Tiger Stripe product TS.

is this one cotton or a mix with synthethics ?

or can did you recognize it just by the pattern?

Alex

Only through the pattern, and the use of BDU buttons