Please show us your Fake tiger stripes uniforms

hochiminhtrail

This is the Shirt from Tiger Product, you can see that the stripes fade to grey while the true Tiger Stripes remain black or fade to purple. Other signs are the green shade looses its brighness and becomes darker while the true JWD turn "silver", the buttons don't look shiny and are in OD color while the true ones are made in brigh shiny green plastic.

post-1523-1193432308.jpg

hochiminhtrail

;)

thanks

Alex

This is the Shirt from Tiger Product, you can see that the stripes fade to grey while the true Tiger Stripes remain black or fade to purple. Other signs are the green shade looses its brighness and becomes darker while the true JWD turn "silver", the buttons don't look shiny and are in OD color while the true ones are made in brigh shiny green plastic.

hochiminhtrail

by blur do you mean that the balck stripes on the copies are not smooth in the printing on the edges, as i can see on the copy the stripes have some irregularities, (un peut comme des taches d encre sur les bords). Like ink spots on the edges of the stripes.

I m i correct

post-1849-1193486567.jpg

by blur do you mean that the balck stripes on the copies are not smooth in the printing on the edges, as i can see on the copy the stripes have some irregularities, (un peut comme des taches d encre sur les bords). Like ink spots on the edges of the stripes.

I m i correct

Hello,

To detect fake TS, I'd rather look for the material, buttons, faded shade, and finaly the pattern itself rather than a printing defects. You can see the thread about John Wayne TS, even the vintage TS had some printing blur or irregularity.

Here is another repro Silver pattern (inspired by the Tadpole). You can see the color shade is not good since it looks rather dark grey than silver. The buttons are not good, and the size of the pockets is wrong. There is also a difference with the original in the pattern, but I didn't manage to see this part in these pants.

post-1523-1193491579.jpg

Is anybody else looking at this vest and thinking "Philippine" when looking at this pattern? Also, look at the edging and finishing around the pouch areas... I don't think this type of finishing was used until the 1980's. Despite the "US" in the collar area, I think this may have been made in a more current era for somebody else's military.

Nope, doesn't remind me of Philippine tiger at all. If you look really close where the US-L stamp is you can see a very faint dark area where the tag was, the others that are on EBAY have a white label in the collar, this vest is what it is, it is a tiger copy of a VN era ERDL SEAL vest that someone claimed as NOT FAKE.

Hi,

Another repro Gold pattern TS from Asia, it's quite beautiful but doesn't look like vintage gold pattern . We have Hungle Jacket, Seal Jackets (radio and rifle man)and some time some customs cut in this pattern. I pick the photos from Ebay.

Cheers

post-1523-1194080488.jpg

• 5 months later...

Hello,

Very good repro in the John Wayne pattern that comes from Japan, these repros are quite scarce, I suppose they were made in the 80s. There was a guy from Australia tat put Vietnamese Tailor Tag on them to make them more "vintage"

Cheers

post-1523-1209329578.jpg

post-1523-1209329593.jpg

post-1523-1209329670.jpg

post-1523-1209329678.jpg

This is one that I no longer have in my collection. It was sold to me by a very unscrupulous dealer (whom I will not name on here) when I was first starting to collect Viet-Nam items. I picked it up at the old MAX show in the early 90's. This came from a well repected dealer and he assured me it was 100% real. He knew good and well it was a fake. He just saw a young, inexperienced kid and wanted to make a fast buck. I found out it was fake when I started reading Johnson' Tiger Patterns book. It was one of the first Tiger Products tiger stripe camo they put out. How I figured out it was a repro was by the pants size. They were an US-XS size. From what I gatther, they never made an US-XS size in tigers. I eventually sold them to my friend as a reproduction. He just wanted a piece to fill a hole in his camo collection.

Actually, I had the last laugh on this dealer. I bought a beautiful South Vietnamese Marine Corps tiger jacket as he was on the way over to buy it. Needless to say, he got very upset and said a few choice expletives. I am a true believer in karma.

USTIGERSTRIPE.jpg

Hello,

Would you post the picture from your real VNMC Tiger Stripe on the topic about Tiger Stripe ?

Who was the dealer who sold you that Tiger Stripe Product set? the set is too "beautiful" to be sold with reasonnable price :P

Cheers

This is one that I no longer have in my collection. It was sold to me by a very unscrupulous dealer (whom I will not name on here) when I was first starting to collect Viet-Nam items. I picked it up at the old MAX show in the early 90's. This came from a well repected dealer and he assured me it was 100% real. He knew good and well it was a fake. He just saw a young, inexperienced kid and wanted to make a fast buck. I found out it was fake when I started reading Johnson' Tiger Patterns book. It was one of the first Tiger Products tiger stripe camo they put out. How I figured out it was a repro was by the pants size. They were an US-XS size. From what I gatther, they never made an US-XS size in tigers. I eventually sold them to my friend as a reproduction. He just wanted a piece to fill a hole in his camo collection.

Actually, I had the last laugh on this dealer. I bought a beautiful South Vietnamese Marine Corps tiger jacket as he was on the way over to buy it. Needless to say, he got very upset and said a few choice expletives. I am a true believer in karma.

Hello,

Would you post the picture from your real VNMC Tiger Stripe on the topic about Tiger Stripe ?

Who was the dealer who sold you that Tiger Stripe Product set? the set is too "beautiful" to be sold with reasonnable price :P

Cheers

Give me a few days to dig it out. It is buried in one of my numerous totes of Viet-Nam items.

As to the repro tiger set, yes it is WAY too beautiful to be real. However, as an inexperienced collector it looked good. Someone had even went to the trouble to sew on a triangular patch on the left pocket and take it off. The whole purpose behind this uniform was to deceive potential buyers. Unfortunately, that buyer was me. HARD lesson learned and it really opened my eyes to how most dealers operate. I think from that experience it made me more of a cautious buyer.

As to the dealer, I prefer not to name him on an open forum like this. However, I'll tell you another funny story about him. He used to have several rip-stop tiger stripe shirts hanging on his racks. He'd say stuff like "Direct vet buy" or "I wore this exact same kind in Viet-Nam", etc. You know the stories. However, when Johnson's Tiger Patterns came out and refuted rip-stop tigers, his seemingly endless supplies of rip-stop tigers vanished. Very tricky dealer.

I say out the guy that burned you on that set.....he fooled you...he's probably STILL fooling others, the only way to stop this crap is to let others WHO the clown was.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I find numbers of pictures of MASH repro Tiger Stripe on my old hard disk,

Here is the Gold repro made in 1996

post-1523-1214602074.jpg

another 2001 Tadpole pattern , made in the US Cut, as we can see, they are almost perfect repro, so just look twice when some one offer you a NOS Tadpole uniforms, it s very difficult to see just with pictures

post-1523-1214602547.jpg

Other repros , I think put every repro pattern I know in USMF, I hope it will help to make good choice when buying TS.

Cheers

post-1523-1214602690.jpg

post-1523-1214602703.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hi,

To complete the database about repro -fake tiger stripe, here is the set made by TANAKA-Japan during the 2007-2008. Thanks for our Oakland friend pics

Original Silver-Tadpole pattern in US Cut was not made with black buttons nor with 2 buttons / sleeve pocket.

Owen, you should post your repro TS here, they look so good that we have to put them here for reference

post-1523-1247862558.jpg