A Bear to ID

Flightmedic

Flightmedic

Having difficulty with this one. I usually only collect aeromedical stuff but this was it with some older patches? Is it common?

post-1882-1309298965.jpg

market garden

As stated Missouri National Guard HQ, Composed of Combat support units. including the 175th M.P and 205 M.P Bats. Patch was authorized in 1948. In WW 1 the First seperate Artillery Brigade used a felt bear as there patch. The 175th M.P. the Battalion served in the 1950's in Germany. Missouri furnished several companies from battalions for the current on going war. Some persons say it looks like a chipmunk rather than a bear so sometimes called the chipmunk patch. Looks like your patch may be an early one.http://www.vetshome.com/army_national_guard_patches_his_3.htm

Market Garden

M.P. MONG

Having difficulty with this one. I usually only collect aeromedical stuff but this was it with some older patches? Is it common?

Just as a point of interest, the patch you photographed is the error version. Note the wreath beneath the standing bear has the blue portion of the wreath starting first, then the yellow. In heraldry the colors of the wreath always begin with the lighter color first. On one run of the MO NG HQ (STARC) patches the manufacturer made a mistake and made them with the colors reversed. Not a hugely valuable item, but it is worth about double what a normal (correct) version of the patch is worth.

Patch Johnson

market garden

You are correct.Not wanting to steal this thread but for comparison. A Capt/Mjr's uniform from about 1948 of the MONG Look at the patch.

post-510-1309322700.jpg

Just as a point of interest, the patch you photographed is the error version. Note the wreath beneath the standing bear has the blue portion of the wreath starting first, then the yellow. In heraldry the colors of the wreath always begin with the lighter color first. On one run of the MO NG HQ (STARC) patches the manufacturer made a mistake and made them with the colors reversed. Not a hugely valuable item, but it is worth about double what a normal (correct) version of the patch is worth.

Patch Johnson

when I first looked at this I did not notice this, and had forgotten habout he heraldry rule, thanks for pointing that out. Will make me be more watchful in the future.