PASGT helmet question

1canpara

Can anyone tell me when the PASGT came into use and who were some of the early makers? I have one that I can't make out the date or any of the markings in it...I think it dates from around 1999-2000

thanks,

Rick

Can anyone tell me when the PASGT came into use and who were some of the early makers? I have one that I can't make out the date or any of the markings in it...I think it dates from around 1999-2000

thanks,

Rick

Rick...can I refer you to Mark Reynosa's book "(PASGT) HELMET. An illustrated study...." (Amazon have it) I have my copy in front of me as I type. Early contracts were awarded to Aqua-Aire; Gentex; Devil's Lake Sioux Manufacturing; Northwest Polymeric Inc; Gibraltar Industries. Hope this helps?

Ian

Rick...can I refer you to Mark Reynosa's book "(PASGT) HELMET. An illustrated study...." (Amazon have it) I have my copy in front of me as I type. Early contracts were awarded to Aqua-Aire; Gentex; Devil's Lake Sioux Manufacturing; Northwest Polymeric Inc; Gibraltar Industries. Hope this helps?

Ian

Thanks Ian, the one I'm looking at seems to start with a U----, but it's so faded it's hard to tell...I'll look up that book on Amazon as I was going to check there for De Trez new para helmet book anyway

thanks again,

Rick

Now correct me if im wrong but wasnt the PASGT helmet first used around 1983?I seem to remember pics of Operation Urgent Fury with troops wearing them... :think:

Now correct me if im wrong but wasnt the PASGT helmet first used around 1983?I seem to remember pics of Operation Urgent Fury with troops wearing them... :think:

Full-scale production kicked-off in 1980.

Ian

OEF COLLECTOR
Thanks Ian, the one I'm looking at seems to start with a U----, but it's so faded it's hard to tell...I'll look up that book on Amazon as I was going to check there for De Trez new para helmet book anyway

thanks again,

Rick

Rick, your helmet is probably made by UNICOR. -Joseph

thanks again,

Rick

I recommend that book too, i think the maker you have is UNICOR or something like that, will check my book later!....mike

craig_pickrall

The PASGT system was approved by letter on 26 June, 1978. These are some of the early press releases and spec sheets for the helmet.

post-5-1309288678.jpg

post-5-1309288687.jpg

post-5-1309288695.jpg

post-5-1309288703.jpg

post-5-1309288712.jpg

post-5-1309288723.jpg

post-5-1309288730.jpg

post-5-1309288736.jpg

Rick, your helmet is probably made by UNICOR. -Joseph

Thanks Mike and Joesph, I think you're right...it looks like Uni----- so I'll bet that's it

Rick

Unicor made a ton of PASGT helmets, and had some of the last contracts for PASGT shells as well. If you look closely at the top of the dome on the inside of your helmet, you should see a strange logo molded into it, as well as a size (XS, S, M, L, XL) followed by a dash and a number. You might also find something like "87" or "86" molding into the inside of the helmet, which corresponds to the year of the particular mold used to form your helmet. This can give you an approximate date of production.

This should give you most of the information you need to figure out the timeframe it was made and who made it. The only information you'll be lacking due to the rubbed off markings is the contract information.

I don't know if I'd consider "full scale" production to have started in 1980. They were indeed making PASGT helmets by then, but not in large numbers. The early 1980-82 helmets were more like "trials" helmets for each manufacturer to figure out the best ways to produces the helmets in large numbers, get the specifications nailed down, etc. Any pre-1983 contract PASGT helmet is uncommon at best. 1983 contract helmets from manufacturers like Devil's Lake Sioux are EVERYWHERE (understandable, since their first 1983 contract contained in excess of 100,000 helmets).

OEF COLLECTOR

Longbranch, that is the correct logo for a UNICOR helmet. The photo came from Chris Armold's Steel Pots book.

Actually, that's not correct. That is actually the logo for Devil's Lake Sioux.

I'm well aware of that, and I have his book. It's a pretty blatant misprint, and is completely incorrect. Not every book is perfect... but remember this book is called "Steel Pots" and not "Kevlar Pots". This is a case of "don't believe everything you read".

The Unicor logo is a strange looking little sucker. It's a couple of little rectangles bunched together.

I'd be more than happy to prove my point. I have several PASGT helmets.

I agree with Longbranch !!! I've one Devil's lake Sioux with this stamp inside. I can take some pictures if you'll (my helmet is brand new, and so we can perfectly see the stamp and the printed label). I'm 100% sure this is not an UNICOR helmet but well a Devil's lake sioux !!!!

That's probably a mistake in the Steel pots book (no book is perfect...).

• 10 years later...