Reproduction Leather "k-bar" scabbard

Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

There's a guy on ebay who's selling a high grade copy of the WW2 "k-bar" scabbard. Right now he's selling them either unmarked as the USMC used, or marked "USN" and "BOYT 43" as the Navy used with early production Mark 2's. At this point it's an honest transaction since they're represented as post war scabbards and not US issue. But the quality is high enough that I just know that we'll soon see these mated with reproduction KA-BAR's to make them look "WW2, or used to enhance the sale of an original knife since it'll now have a "mint" scabbard, or even sold "on the loose" as "unissued originals".

I've just bought one of the USN dated scabbards and will post pics and my impressions of it when it arrives.

Greg Robinson

It arrived today and but for very minor discrepancies is near identical to the WW2 US Navy Mk 2 scabbard made by BOYT in 1943.

In the comparison pics the original is on the left side

The close up pics show markings on the reproduction

post-4-1168134572.jpg

post-4-1168134620.jpg

post-4-1168134683.jpg

post-4-1168134730.jpg

Greg Robinson
Greg, that is a very nice repro. What price range are these?

He's been selling them on ebay "buy it now" at $28 for unmarked and $35 for the Navy dated version. He'd do a little better on a direct sale. Not cheap but for the quality it's not out of line in my opinion. I just bought one, and I may buy an unmarked version also, to have as a reference if/when I start to see these being sold as originals.

A likely scenario would be using these scabbards to sell all those 1970's and 1980's KA-BAR reproductions that came in scabbards marked USMC with EGA. To sell them as "WW2" those knives needed to be put in another scabbard and in the past fakers utilized originals. Now they don't have to do that....there's a perfectly suitable repro scabbard available.

craig_pickrall

Those repro knives and that sheath together will be hard to tell from real, especially if "used".

One of those repros with the marked sheath showed up in Kevin Lyles book on Vietnam gear. I know when I sent him a copy of an ad for the knife he was planning on killing a dealer. I wonder if he ever did. I haven't seen anything about him for several years. Does anyone know if Kevin is in jail for murder?