82nd Airborne Glider FAB uniform

M1A1-1944

I obtained this uniform belonging to Louis Valenzano. I was able to contact a nephew who confirmed it was his uncle Louis Valenzano's uniform. He also stated this... "He served in the Army as a member of the 17th Air Borne Unit. His unit landed in France (he was in a glider unit). The unit lost so many men, that the survivors were transferred into the 82nd. It was as member of the 82nd, that my uncle marched in that uniform in the victory parade on 5th Avenue in New York City. You may be interested in knowing that he was awarded a Bronze Star, a fact that we did not know until shortly before his death".

Please correct me if I am wrong but I didn't think the 17th participated in D-Day. So, I'm thinking either he was not involved in D-Day operations, or may have been but was not a member of the 17th at that time. I know sometimes families can get the history mixed up. I am hoping that anyone with good airborne knowledge (maybe access to rosters), and using the picture of the uniform's cords and insignia set-up, might be able to provide some background to where and exactly when Louis Valenzano served. His ETO ribbon has 3 battle stars on it. I did find him in the NARA search but that really doesn't answer the question. I would greatly appreciate any help. Thank you- Ron

post-4155-1309226268.jpg

The Orange cord was awarded by Holland so he may have participated in Market Garden but that would be in line with the 82nd not 17th.I recall one unit of the 82nd(the 507th PIR) was hit hard at Normandy and then assigned to the 17th.I have a group to one such man and knew him personally

THe 17th first saw action in Belgium or The Battle of the Buldge.So I dont know how the story pans out.Maybe he just got the story turned around.

Many of the low point 17th men ended up in the 82nd and went to Berlin for the occupation.I would expect to see a 17th patch on the right sleeve if this was the case of him serving in the 17th first.But who know it could have been left off.

Just by the insignia I would venture to say he saw action in Holland and Belgium.How many campaign stars are there??

The Orange cord was awarded by Holland so he may have participated in Market Garden but that would be in line with the 82nd not 17th.I recall one unit of the 82nd(the 507th PIR) was hit hard at Normandy and then assigned to the 17th.I have a group to one such man and knew him personally

THe 17th first saw action in Belgium or The Battle of the Buldge.So I dont know how the story pans out.Maybe he just got the story turned around.

Many of the low point 17th men ended up in the 82nd and went to Berlin for the occupation.I would expect to see a 17th patch on the right sleeve if this was the case of him serving in the 17th first.But who know it could have been left off.

Just by the insignia I would venture to say he saw action in Holland and Belgium.How many campaign stars are there??

Thank you Doyler for the reply. He has 3 stars on the ETO ribbon.

Kurt Barickman

Probably had France confused with the Varsity drop. :think:

Kurt Barickman

shocktrooper15

Great uniform! :thumbsup:

Also, In August of 1944 the 507th PIR (part of the 82nd AB Division) was assigned into the 17th Airborne while in England.

Don R. Pay´s lists mentions him as being a member of the 680th Glider Field Artillery Battalion.

Great uniform!

Tom

Thanks guys! Tom, finding him on a roster is what I was looking for so thank you! Hopefully with some research I will be able find his path to the 82nd. Anyone else who may be able to help, please do.

Since he has 3 battle stars and the orange Holland cord, I am thinking he was transferred out of the 680th to a unit of the 82nd either prior to or just after D-Day??? If only in the 17th for a short time, maybe that's why no 17th patch on the right shoulder? Any opinions are welcome. Thanks.