Help with EGA pair

kanemono

I bought a very nice China Marine group to an officer who went in the service 1n 1935. He served in Shanghai (he was at Soochow creek in 1937) WWII and Korea. He retired a Brigadier General. I have his full dress cover with an ID as a Lieutenant Colonel on the inside and this pair of EGS's. The EGA's are both missing the screw nuts and they look new. Could he have worn these EGS's? Everything else is ID'ed with his name. I am hoping to get more items. I will post the group as soon as possible.

Dick

post-9487-1309208486.jpg

teufelhunde.ret
I bought a very nice China Marine group to an officer who went in the service 1n 1935. He served in Shanghai (he was at Soochow creek in 1937) WWII and Korea. He retired a Brigadier General. I have his full dress cover with an ID as a Lieutenant Colonel on the inside and this pair of EGS's. The EGA's are both missing the screw nuts and they look new. Could he have worn these EGS's? Everything else is ID'ed with his name. I am hoping to get more items. I will post the group as soon as possible.

Dick

No, those are current issue. Go to the EGA ref sec, click on officer emblems, go to the 1937 emblem ( collars - dress). Any number of emblems there are suitable.

Thank you for the information. He didn't retire until the 1960's. The EGS's have the gold content marked and "592" so would they have been in use during the end of his career? Here he is as a Brigadier General.

Dick

post-9487-1309212639.jpg

so would they have been in use during the end of his career?

Dick

Yes - "modern" EGA's have been around for 49 years for officers and 56 years for enlisted.

He started his career in 1935. He was a Lieutenant Colonel in the 1st Marine Division in 1951-1952 and retired as a Brigadier General. The photograph shows him as a Brigadier General so I would guess he served some period of time at that rank. 1960's I would guess.

Dick

usmcaviator

Those sterling EGA's are fine, given the General's time of service. Based off of the markings, I would date those from the mid 1960's to early 1970's. I would not call them "modern". They are, however, of the current design. Most General officers do not distant themselves from Birthday Ball celebrations, and parties after their retirement. Most are brought back in as consultants and advisors to joint and higher level staffs. I do not find that he had these odd at all. He was more than likely active with "Corps" related function until the 1980's.

S/F,

Mike