Restoring T-33 Ejection Seat -Could Use Help/Advice

Capt Fig

Hi All -

I'm new to this group. I served for 9 years in the USAF flying T-33s and F-16s. 30 years ago on April 20, 1981, I barely survived an ejection from a T-33 at Tyndall AFB. As a memento of that day, and to have as a display for my friends and family, especially my grandchildren, I'm now restoring a T-33 seat to hang in my study. I could use any and all help in advice and locating parts. Currently, I am looking for an MA-5 or MA-6 automatic lap belt and a zero-delay lanyard, although many more parts are still needed. I'd also love to contact someone who would be willing to mentor me by email with experience in the T-33 ejection seat.

post-48399-1309208031.jpg

post-48399-1309208196.jpg

Welcome aboard.

Thats a tough project and a daily reminder of your close call!!!

I have a seat like yours but not very complete.Good luck in your restoration and keep us posted.

RD

You might try www.flighthelmet.com. Email the owner because he has alot more than he shows on his site. He's a nice guy, and might be able to help you out....Tom.

northcoastaero

Check out the following for information/parts:

flighthelmet.com

bellsaviation.com

magnum-aero.com

ebay.com

barnstormers.com

ejectionsite.com

seatejectcolor.com

ejection-history.org.uk

Flight manuals are a good source for information and are available as original, CD form, or book form. Try amazon.com and abebooks.com for the

reprint flight manuals in book form. Just curious, what is the tail number of the aircraft the seat is from? I may be able to get you a list of the service

assignments. Also, there are many military surplus parts companies online. They may require a part number, FSN, NSN numbers to locate a part.

Hope this helps.

Cobrahistorian

Welcome aboard here Fig! I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more of this restoration! Always good to have another aviator on board too!

Jon

I am working on a T33 here in Paso Robles CA shinning it up. We have about 10-15 ejection seats laying around our place and I know we have a few like that seat. Most still belong to the Navy sadly. Also one of our meseum directors is changing our T33 from USAF to Navy due to being ex Navy. Good luck in your quest

I am working on a T33 here in Paso Robles CA shinning it up. We have about 10-15 ejection seats laying around our place and I know we have a few like that seat. Most still belong to the Navy sadly. Also one of our museum directors is changing our T33 from USAF to Navy due to being ex Navy. Good luck in your quest

Wow! Best of luck to you! Too bad the Navy is holding those seats; I'd sure be interested!

Thank you, thank you, thank you to all of you who have offered support and assistance. I'm humbled by the interest you've shown and your well wishes!

Jack's Son

Capt.

I must have missed your interduction Thread......Welcome.

As you may have already found, there are many willing members who will help.

Please join us!

Check out the following for information/parts:

flighthelmet.com

bellsaviation.com

magnum-aero.com

ebay.com

barnstormers.com

ejectionsite.com

seatejectcolor.com

ejection-history.org.uk

Flight manuals are a good source for information and are available as original, CD form, or book form. Try amazon.com and abebooks.com for the

reprint flight manuals in book form. Just curious, what is the tail number of the aircraft the seat is from? I may be able to get you a list of the service

assignments. Also, there are many military surplus parts companies online. They may require a part number, FSN, NSN numbers to locate a part.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the suggestions! I've accessed these sites with the exception of one and have had differing levels of success. I DO have the parts and service manuals for the seat and they are definitely an asset. The seat came to me without a history, so I'm still trying to determine which aircraft it came from. I have looked at parts suppliers, but in many cases the prices they're asking are far more than I can afford. For instance, the one parts supplier I asked for a quote on the seat belt returned with a price of $350. With as many parts as I'll need to do the restoration, I could never afford to do it that way. By contrast, I picked up a pair of brand new 1958 shoulder harnesses for $80.

On the positive side.......I can tell you that alot of seat parts have come up on Ebay over the years. Patience is the only way to survive a project like yours....Tom.

What a story... cherish everyday. Best of luck restoring he ol' seat. I'll keep an eye out for parts for you!

F 106 Pilot

Welcome aboard I spent many happy hours in the ole T Bird flying targets. I hope you have good luck in find your missing parts. It will be quite a conversation piece when you finish it. Ben

• 2 weeks later...

FYI...there has been a nice set of arm rests on Ebay. They have come around at least twice. You may be able to pick them up cheap.....Tom.

• 1 month later...
Hi All -

I'm new to this group. I served for 9 years in the USAF flying T-33s and F-16s. 30 years ago on April 20, 1981, I barely survived an ejection from a T-33 at Tyndall AFB. As a memento of that day, and to have as a display for my friends and family, especially my grandchildren, I'm now restoring a T-33 seat to hang in my study. I could use any and all help in advice and locating parts. Currently, I am looking for an MA-5 or MA-6 automatic lap belt and a zero-delay lanyard, although many more parts are still needed. I'd also love to contact someone who would be willing to mentor me by email with experience in the T-33 ejection seat.

Hello,

I have a T-33 seat as well and I’m trying to locate the seat adjustment jackscrews for display purposes only. I've got quite a ways to go on my project and it It would be great to connect with others who are doing the same. Any help in locating this part would be greatly appreciated. I can send some pictures. Contact [email protected]

Best regards,

Lorne Bohn

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Capt. Fig,

Well today I too joined the club. The T-33 ejection seat I bought arrived today. Mine looks to be one of the later variations since it has the canopy breakers on either side of the head rest.

Have you made any progress on your seat recently? Also, I'd like to hear more about your T-33 ejection if you care to share the details.

Here's a photo of mine for comparison:

T-33seat_01.jpg

My seat is in need of shoulder and lap belts - where did you find that set for $80??

Best regards from Texas,

-Derek

• 3 months later...
tenacious101010

I have a couple 8 1/2 X 11 sheets with ejection seat decals on them. They are not vinyl but are stickyback sheets with peel off backing. I am not sure if they are for the T-33 seats but they came from a unit that had T-33s and F-106s. Anyone know if these are for the T-33 seats or maybe what they are for?

Thanks, Denny

post-68867-1326682036.jpg

• 2 years later...

Anyone looking for a complete T-33A front instrument panel? I have one out of my collection I'm looking to sell ...

Dale

• 4 months later...

I have an extra lap belt. It is a "HBU-4B/A", which is probably not what you want, and a few other odds and ends. Labels and decals webbing and such. These things are for an F-105D seat. I don't have any T.O.s for the T-33, so I am not sure that anything I have will be useful.