MARINE MIL. ACADEMY OR...?

INIMICUS

fellas: is this a variant of the usmc military academy patch, an rotc thing or just civvie? thanks, david

post-496-1309192189.jpg

Inimicus,

The Marine Military Academy is called the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, MD. The Marines, being part of the Navy, do not have their own military academy. They DO have their own Officer's Candidate School, but this patch is not from there.

While I cannot give you a 100% guaranteed ID on this patch, it is most likely a private military school such as Millersburg, Massanuttin, etc.

Patch Johnson

Just went through and checked all of my ROTC patches, and these are the ones I came up with that only had acronyms. They are Miami Military academy at top, and the bottom two are Missouri Military Academy. I also have several other Military Academies, such as Massachusetts Military academy, but these are the only ones I have with just the letters MMA. Perhaps, it may be a start.

post-2063-1309198755.jpg

Inimicus,

The Marine Military Academy is called the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, MD. The Marines, being part of the Navy, do not have their own military academy. They DO have their own Officer's Candidate School, but this patch is not from there.

While I cannot give you a 100% guaranteed ID on this patch, it is most likely a ptivate military school such as Millersburg, Massanuttin, etc.

Patch Johnson

There is a Marine Military Academy. It is a private military school in Harlingen, Texas. It is a high school, and they have an exact replica of the Iwo Jima monument made from the mold the original was made from. It is possible this patch may be a vintage patch from the Marine Military Academy. It is known as MMA. Why do I know this? I live 25 minutes from MMA. While the USNA does graduate Marines as well as naval officers, there is a school called the Marine Military Academy.

There is a Marine Military Academy. It is a private military school in Harlingen, Texas. It is a high school, and they have an exact replica of the Iwo Jima monument made from the mold the original was made from. It is possible this patch may be a vintage patch from the Marine Military Academy. It is known as MMA. Why do I know this? I live 25 minutes from MMA. While the USNA does graduate Marines as well as naval officers, there is a school called the Marine Military Academy.

I'm not trying to start trouble here, but the initial question asked about "usmc military academy". And, when I responded about a "Marine military academy" I was addressing what I believed was the obvious intended question. I was quite certain that Inimicus was not referring to anything other than a military academy for the United States Marine Corps. Thus, my response, as written. If he was asking about the MMA 25 miles from your home, then I apologize to both of you.

Patch Johnson

Patch Johnson

The colors on the OP's MMA patch match a jacket I saw on eBay on sale from the Marine Military Academy in Texas, as dg has suggested. http://cgi.ebay.com/Amazing-jacket-Marine-...=item53e8141056 Another besides Miami Mil Academy, Missouri Mil Academy or Massachusetts Mil Academy is Massanutten Mil Academy, but I think in almost every case the colors are different from the red and gold of the OP's patch. The OP's patch is nothing that would be seen anywhere at USNA, as far as I know.

--Jo

There was also the Michigan Military Academy, known at one time as "The Second West Point', however it closed in 1908. This patch doesn't look quite that old.

Patch, I don't think anybody was trying to start trouble, I just wanted to state there is an institution called the Marine Military Academy, although it isn't one of the major service academies. Today, the MMA cadets wear metal letters on their uniforms designating what company they belong to, so it stands to reason this particular patch may be an earlier version of how the cadets at MMA designated what company they belonged to.

Also, the colors do match the scarlet and gold they wear on their varsity jackets.

Patch, I don't think anybody was trying to start trouble, I just wanted to state there is an institution called the Marine Military Academy, although it isn't one of the major service academies. Today, the MMA cadets wear metal letters on their uniforms designating what company they belong to, so it stands to reason this particular patch may be an earlier version of how the cadets at MMA designated what company they belonged to.

Also, the colors do match the scarlet and gold they wear on their varsity jackets.

dg,

I am stisfied that the correct ID has been laid on this patch - initials match, colors match, company letter included. That should answer everyone's question. I gained some knowledge about the MMA in Texas, and Inimicus learned that his patch has nothing official to do with the United States Marine Corps. Peace, Brother.

patch Johnson

thanks to y'all fellas! much obliged.

dg,

I am stisfied that the correct ID has been laid on this patch - initials match, colors match, company letter included. That should answer everyone's question. I gained some knowledge about the MMA in Texas, and Inimicus learned that his patch has nothing official to do with the United States Marine Corps. Peace, Brother.

patch Johnson

In my opinion your patch is not from the Marine Military Academy.

Here's a photo of myself circa 1986-87 wearing the Marine Military Academy school patch.

Here's some information on the school from their website.

http://www.mma-tx.org/

"The Marine Military Academy is a private college preparatory military school for young men, 8th through 12th grades, which develops disciplined, morally strong, college ready young men who are prepared for responsible leadership.

While MMA is a College Preparatory school, we do more than prepare our students for college. MMA prepares our students for Life. We emphasize academics, self-discipline, teamwork and leadership. We help young men succeed by offering a structured learning environment. Of all the military boarding schools, the Marine Military Academy is the only one in the world based on the traditions, values, and ideals of the United States Marine Corps."

Will post a close-up photo of the school insignia ASAP.

Semper Fi!

Howard

post-389-1309669194.jpg

• 1 month later...