WWI Display

LTGSANCHEZ

I'll open with a discussion: When I started collecting, the first grouping I ever acquired for the price of mowing the lawn of a WWI veteran's widow for a summer was a chest with his uniform, pistol belt, and a gasmask and canteen belonging to a german soldier who was killed at the front. Both items have blood stains and are ID'd by the vet. To this day they are some of my favorite pieces. As a result I first collected US WWI miltaria before moving on to US WWII militaria. I kind of let these great war relics be pushed aside for may years and today I decided to dedicate one of the last few bits of open space left in my basement to them.

Some highlights include 4th ID vets uniform and tunic, a large grouping belonging to signal corp lieutenant Fred Cole (uniform, pants x2, hat, whistle, haversack, welcome home banner, telegraph key, and notebook with his own notes of wiring and telegraph operation), also a 314th grouping of Fred Hupp (stetson hat, company photo, reunion stuff), and a housewife sewing kit ID'd to Earl Leslie of the 28th div.

Well what sparked my desire to give these relics a better display was that for the first time in a long time I browse ebay and was blown away at the increase in value some of these items are holding. I saw a mint M1910 canteen cover sold for $170+. Realistically I think I paid less than $300 for the stuff in my WWI in my collection. It's all commonly issued stuff no eagle snap field gear or experimental helmets or rare trench knives, but the stuff there is the best condition stuff I could find at garge sale/flea market price.

Well, I'm on the hunt for the less common stuff now. Bread ration, shoes, etc, the harder to find stuff.

Enjoy. I did realize I don't have any of my edge weapons in the photo. They are with my WWII stuff.

IMG_2953.jpg

IMG_2954.jpg

IMG_2955.jpg

IMG_2956.jpg

IMG_2957.jpg

Thank you for sharing your collection with us and the story behind your first grouping. I've gotta admit I'm quite jealous of your story. I mowed many lawns most of my childhood & shoveled driveways in the winter but never received anything as cool as that collection of WWI artifacts. I'm pretty sure I would have appreciated it as I've always been fascinated with all things military (served with the 82nd Airborne '91-'93). I couldn't complain though because I would spend a lot of that hard earned cash on baseball cards, caps, big gulps from 7-11, slurpees or whatever else interested a typical kid of my age. Oh, I did buy a .50 cal bullet once from a militaria show way back when but nothing ever amounting to that nice little stash of history you got that day. Good for you! I appreciate what you did with the display. Good job! Please post the blades whenever you get around to it. Won't mind seeing those.

-Chuck

PS I know the value of these items are going to continue to only go up, more so with all the disenfranchised WWII German collectors (like me) fleeing that aspect of the hobby. You also have the 90th anniversary of Armistice day right around the corner.

I'll open with a discussion: When I started collecting, the first grouping I ever acquired for the price of mowing the lawn of a WWI veteran's widow for a summer was a chest with his uniform, pistol belt, and a gasmask and canteen belonging to a german soldier who was killed at the front. Both items have blood stains and are ID'd by the vet. To this day they are some of my favorite pieces. As a result I first collected US WWI miltaria before moving on to US WWII militaria. I kind of let these great war relics be pushed aside for may years and today I decided to dedicate one of the last few bits of open space left in my basement to them.

Some highlights include 4th ID vets uniform and tunic, a large grouping belonging to signal corp lieutenant Fred Cole (uniform, pants x2, hat, whistle, haversack, welcome home banner, telegraph key, and notebook with his own notes of wiring and telegraph operation), also a 314th grouping of Fred Hupp (stetson hat, company photo, reunion stuff), and a housewife sewing kit ID'd to Earl Leslie of the 28th div.

Well what sparked my desire to give these relics a better display was that for the first time in a long time I browse ebay and was blown away at the increase in value some of these items are holding. I saw a mint M1910 canteen cover sold for $170+. Realistically I think I paid less than $300 for the stuff in my WWI in my collection. It's all commonly issued stuff no eagle snap field gear or experimental helmets or rare trench knives, but the stuff there is the best condition stuff I could find at garge sale/flea market price.

Well, I'm on the hunt for the less common stuff now. Bread ration, shoes, etc, the harder to find stuff.

Enjoy. I did realize I don't have any of my edge weapons in the photo. They are with my WWII stuff.

IMG_2953.jpg

IMG_2954.jpg

IMG_2955.jpg

IMG_2956.jpg

IMG_2957.jpg

Thanks for your comments. I attached some photos below of the canteen and gas mask. I also have some of an image I've had. I saw your post with some great WWI images. Can you give me some help on this one? I believe I see an EGA on his hat but not sure on the badge/medal. Maybe you know. I'll make a separate post for my blades when I take some good pictures. Thanks again, enjoy. If I find any more lawns to mow I'll let you know.

IMG_2966.jpg

IMG_2967.jpg

IMG_2968.jpg

IMG_2969.jpg

IMG_2970.jpg

IMG_2961.jpg

IMG_2964.jpg

TrenchRaider1918

Sir, your collection is astounding! I haven't seen a posting of just WWI like this on here in a while. You have about everything the doughboy could have. I too collect WWI but I focus my items to the infantryman of the 89th ID. I also grab small stuff like field manuals, personal items, and other things a common soldier might have. Now you make me want to post my stuff. Again, great collection! The posters are a great touch by the way.

Hey Sanchez (or should I say "Sir!"). I'll fly clear across the country if you find yourself needing a little help mowing any more of "those" lawns.

The badge depicted in the portrait you posted appears to be a sharpshooter's badge.

Like the other stuff too! You have a nice collection going there. Please continue to post photos of any other WWI items you may have waiting in the wings.

-Chuck

PS Thanks for the compliments on my portrait collection. Only too happy to share with you all.

Sir, your collection is astounding! You have about everything the doughboy could have. I too collect WWI but I focus my items to the infantryman of the 89th ID. I also grab small stuff like field manuals, personal items, and other things a common soldier might have. Now you make me want to post my stuff. Again, great collection! The posters are a great touch by the way.

Thanks for the compliments. Not everything! Far far away from that!

So whats the story with the slouch hat, is this a different variation of the campaign hat?

I didn't find it to be any different than other campaign hats. It's just creased pretty stylishly at the crown. I bought it from the same state as the overcoat it sits on. No ID, and someone cut off the SSI that was on it at one time. It is a darker shade of material.

Just noticed that the Marine in your portrait pic appears to be wearing an SSI....

Noticed it as well on the blow up, but whatever it was is lost to history. I usually stick to army infantry stuff but I liked it since its got some class to it and some neat stuff in the background (guy ina straw hat, another doughboy in a OS cap, and a early telephone pole)

I snagged this nice little grouping today. Good price. Looks like an ID bracelet with two sets of dog tags and a shaving kit. We'll see when it gets here. Does anyone know if there is a thread on shaving sets/kits. I've got a bunch and don't know for sure which ones are WWI and WWII.

TrenchRaider1918

Just curious, do you have a shelter half with rope and pegs with your haversack? Thats the one item I have never been able to come across.

Just curious, do you have a shelter half with rope and pegs with your haversack? Thats the one item I have never been able to come across.

Have a shelter half with the folding poles, no pegs or rope or peg bag. Tough stuff to come across. Never see them too often. Go figure I can find a wwi german zeltbahn with pegs, rope and bag easily but not a US one. Just keep your eyes out.