Any period photo of 1st Pattern USMC cover in use?

OD MAN

Ron: That is one nice Cover :w00t:

Some of the few period pics I've seen of those Covers in use were indeed in Iceland (Moran's book). And the famous shot of Col. Dave Shoup, Mike Edson and Evans Carlson on Tarawa looks like Shoup might be carrying one on his Pistol Belt (I've read that he had filled it with booze). The fact that yours came in a documented grouping (Raider, no less) is unreal- what a score!!

They may not have made all that many of these Marine M1910s. But then, when they show up, they're usually in fine-to-mint condition, so I wonder... :blink: Like you said, Marines were in the habit of using stuff until it dissolved.

Justin:

Below are the Marine M1910 Canteen Covers in 4 slightly different variations. The one in front has a couple extra rows of reinforcement stitching in front, which are duplicated in the back (next post).

Mike:

Cool Canteen!! That would've been right for either Army or Marine issue...I'm leaning towards Army on that one, because I can't see the usual M.C. property mark of first 2 initials and last name.

post-3226-1309308660.jpeg

Ron:

Thanks! The second one has a greenish-blue "U.S.M.C." under the flap, but it's hard to make out (sorry about the over-flashed shot :pinch: ).

Corpsmancollector
Flage

Those are beauties!!!!!

What he said!!

I haven't even got one in the collection and then 'Flage dips into his QM depot and pulls out 4 minters!

It's a cruel world :lol:

I've got a USMC canteen cover - there's no lining in it and there's no ribbed stitching. No US stencil and high hook. It's also got a unit stencil on it. It came with the suspenders (also marked) and a pistol belt. I was under the impression it was a first pattern cover.

I'll post some pics as i'm not up on USMC gear.

Rich

I've got a USMC canteen cover - there's no lining in it and there's no ribbed stitching. No US stencil and high hook. It's also got a unit stencil on it. It came with the suspenders (also marked) and a pistol belt. I was under the impression it was a first pattern cover.

I'll post some pics as i'm not up on USMC gear.

Rich

Rich

a WW2 fist patterm will have the glove snap closures

Here is a link to one I had

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...c=113487&hl=

King:

Looking forward to seeing pics of your Belt rig, so we can see what you've got!

Those 1st model M1941 Covers with dome snaps that Ron just sold are really hard to get; in mint condition, darn near impossible.

Will, I can't believe you don't have one of these, what with all that other heavy-hitter stuff you've got :think: But then, they don't show up every day, either.

Here are few more Bougainville pictures from the LIFE magazine series. The first picture is a reverse view of the picture with the Marine that has what appears to be a Jump smock camouflage top, but from the reverse angle it appears that he is wearing the one-piece camouflage jungle suit based on the pocket style and arrangement. There a few other pictures, including a fellow definitely wearing a one-piece jungle suit and a Marine with one of the 1910 style canteen covers with the high-hooks and felt lining. Enjoy the photos.

3a09888fc0f0b4e2_large.jpg

Reverse angle from earlier photo.

dc46cb63b9b9ff46_large.jpg

One-piece jungle camouflage uniform.

45cb9cc98fdaca52_large.jpg

Nice shot of p-1942 camouflage uniform.

BOUGAINVILLE2063280.jpg

Nice shot of felt lined USMC canteen cover.

608c981a2d271e36_large.jpg

56bb0220e82ad260_large.jpg

image0000076A.jpg

Corpsmancollector

Fantastic photos GIJive, thanks for posting. In the first picture, the Marine on the right definitely looks to be wearing a one piece camo suit, going off the pocket configuration. Also nice to see some fiber liners too! The third photo is fantastic, that is some crisp looking camo (wait til 'Flage sees it!). In the second to last photo, the Marine holding the M1 carbine looks to be wearing high leg paramarine boots, or is it just the way I'm looking at it?

Do we know where they were taken by the way? (I'm guesing Bougainville/Northen Solomons)

Will

'Flage Guy

Ah, more great 'flage data from GIJive :thumbsup: Thanks for more great shots; it's hard to see exactly, but there could be some non-slot Helmet Covers in there.

Will, it looks pretty evident that those are either Raider or Para Boots, and it looks like all the guys are wearing them. I suspect they are Raiders because of the prevalence of 1942 'Flage Utilities and 1-Piece Jungle Suits, both of which were issued to Raider units early on. And the guy closest to the camera...another Army Canteen Cover!

Guys,

Had a dig round in my web gear box and pulled out my canteen. It appears it's an unlined 2nd pattern USMC cover. At least i think it is ?

It has a guys name marked on one of the flaps and some sort of unit stencil on it. Anyway to decipher the markings :think:

Rich

post-1878-1309724518.jpg

'Flage Guy
Guys,

Had a dig round in my web gear box and pulled out my canteen. It appears it's an unlined 2nd pattern USMC cover. At least i think it is ?

It has a guys name marked on one of the flaps and some sort of unit stencil on it. Anyway to decipher the markings :think:

Rich

You got it pegged, buddy- 2nd pattern M1941 M.C. Cover; and a mighty decent one! :thumbsup:

sgtdorango

Yeah!....dont you canteen guys have your own section!!!.... :lol: .....just kidding i love canteens too!....mike :thumbsup:

Corpsmancollector

Yeah, it is Rich. Really nice example.

I don't see the harm in going 'off topic' on this occasion. There was a good discussion about uniforms, web gear and helmets as a result of the initial photos posted. I learned something anyway!

Will

I don't see the harm in going 'off topic' on this occasion. There was a good discussion about uniforms, web gear and helmets as a result of the initial photos posted. I learned something anyway!

I'll second that, "off topic" must be allowed when it adds further knowledge :thumbsup: ... those pictures are great and very informative

craig_pickrall

Where the problem comes in is there is some good canteen info here but it is in the helmet section so a couple of months from now it will be lost info.