A Silver Star, A Bright Career.....CMR. Roy Wommack McCotter

Jack's Son

I have a bar mounted USN group that includes all the original ribbons and brooches in the boxes. Both the DFC ribbon and AM ribbons are cut accross the back so that the planchets could be taken off and put on the medal bar.

Wouldnt surprise me if the SS had been on a bar at one time.

Kurt

Kurt,

Your thought and Mike's are both very plausible. I am somewhat 'heartsick' over it and hadn't come to either of those conclusions yet.

I will try and get the citation, and along with the named P.D. Patch, that will be my remembrance of the man,(unless more things come back for sale.)

History Man

thats just horrible. i cant believe that someone could just say that to a collector if they are willing to take the group. i really dont deal with dealers as their prices are way too overpriced and the item isnt all that great. in my area the dealers are the same as this one and they dont care about the items. i am happy that you were able to get the medal and i understand your concerns. what else was in the group?

Philip

Its too bad they split the group all up. What a tragedy.

Here is one of his diaries: ( where in the heck did it go? To the untrained eye it would look like garbage and I bet it got thrown out)

http://philippine-defenders.lib.wv.us/html/quan.html

He was never in a German Stalag. He was held as a POW in the Philippines and in Japan. He ended the war in the Mitsushima POW camp in Japan.

http://www.mansell.com/pow_resources/campl...yank_roster.htm

Kurt

I was gonna say ! It stretched all credulity to think that a single american or for that matter any allied seviceman, who was captured by the japanese would be transfered to the care of the german's. I was gonna say, how ? From the summer of 1942 on, most trips between the two countries was intermintent at best, and usualy ended with one of the Japanese sub's or u-boote sent to davy jones locker by the royal navy in the indian ocean. Even if this was purportily done in may when he was captured, would be a stretch.

• 12 years later...

I’m the great nephew of  Roy Wommack McCotter. He was my Grandmothers Older Brother. We have had copies of his POW diary for as long as I can remember. I have met and talked to him and I have one of his hunting rifles he bought a few years before his death. Jacks Son I’d like to know if you still have his silver star? 

CMR. Roy Wommack McCotter

AxolotlHelmet

Jack's Son (whose real name was Robin Ray) unfortunately passed away in late 2017.  Where his collection is now I do not know.

10 minutes ago, AxolotlHelmet said:

Jack's Son (whose real name was Robin Ray) unfortunately passed away in late 2017.  Where his collection is now I do not know.

Thank you for the Information on Robin Ray aka Jacks Son. 
Do you have any idea of what I should do at this point? Anyone that might know what happened to Robin Rays collection? Specifically my uncles Silver Star?

His collection was sold soon after his passing. 

One of the forum members (I don’t remember his name) helped his wife dispose of it on Emedals.

Hopefully this person will see this or someone else will clue them in.

Good luck with the hay stack.

6 minutes ago, Roys nephew said:

Thank you! I really appreciate your help! 

I just hope it gets you somewhere.

Robin had bought several groupings from me that I tried to track down and get back but they had already been sold on emedals and that’s where the trail dried up.

I tried contacting emedals but no one was willing to help.

I can not believe I am just learning of Robbins passing.  I made some special display medals for him, must have been shortly before his passing, and never heard from him after.  RIP Robin. 💖

15 minutes ago, LuftStalg1 said:

I can not believe I am just learning of Robbins passing.  I made some special display medals for him, must have been shortly before his passing, and never heard from him after.  RIP Robin. 💖

Very sad.

2 hours ago, Roys nephew said:

Thank you for the Information on Robin Ray aka Jacks Son. 
Do you have any idea of what I should do at this point? Anyone that might know what happened to Robin Rays collection? Specifically my uncles Silver Star?

Most of Robins collection was spread to the high winds. E-Medals in Canada sold some of it , but its been years now.  

Kurt