Questions on engraving ? US Navy Seal

Mitch

I bought this group from an antique mall quite a few years ago . Sorry about the upside down seal coin. I have never checked to see if the engraving is right or the right timeframe for these medals. I'm not sure if the group was put together or not either. All the decorations are pinback except for the conduct medal. I really know nothing about medals. everything appears to be real but I don't know if it really all goes together. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Mitch

post-592-1308968535.jpg

And last. Some of the engraving looks a little weak in some place from the scan but by eye they look even.

Thanks, Mitch

post-592-1308968895.jpg

Mitch,

I can believe that the pieces may be period, but there are still questions that I have. The medal engraving as Ski points out, is not "official" period engraving (which doesn't mean the vet didn't have them privately engraved). If this group is 'put together', it has been thought-out to some degree.

Overall, I will vote that it is a legitimate group to a brave Seal :thumbsup: . I see nothing that says otherwise.

Jacks son and Ski,

Thanks for the comments. I guess I will have to see if anyone has Seal team rosters to see if he is listed somewhere.

Regards , Mitch

shrapneldude
Jacks son and Ski,

Thanks for the comments. I guess I will have to see if anyone has Seal team rosters to see if he is listed somewhere.

Regards , Mitch

A retired SEAL named Don Shipley runs a SEAL training camp, but he also pursues phony SEALs and posts videos about them on you tube. I had a run-in with a phony SEAL in a local veterans' organization, and he was of great help. He's got (or has access to) a master roster of SEALs, Frogmen, UDT, etc. going back to World War II.

Just click on the "contact" part of his website and send an eMail.

http://www.extremesealexperience.com/

I like it!!! Its privately engraved proudly by this brave warrior! IMO :thumbsup:

Scott........Are you following me around and copying me? :think: .... :laughing1: :lol:

I likw it too.Just looks like it was done a very long time ago.

How common was it to see the small campaign stars for attitional awards in this time period??Just asking as Im on the short bus a lot when it comes to medals.

RD

A retired SEAL named Don Shipley runs a SEAL training camp, but he also pursues phony SEALs and posts videos about them on you tube. I had a run-in with a phony SEAL in a local veterans' organization, and he was of great help. He's got (or has access to) a master roster of SEALs, Frogmen, UDT, etc. going back to World War II.

Just click on the "contact" part of his website and send an eMail.

http://www.extremesealexperience.com/

Forum member SEAL76 can also run names.He has helped me out on a couple of occassions.

Sorry folks, but I will be the contrarian here and say it is a made up group in my humble opinion.

The Bronze Star engraving is pretty typical of that seen on 1950's or 1960's or so Army awards of the Bronze Star which were post-WW2 Army CIB / CMB retroactive awards. The rest of the engraving is "privately" done too. In fact, the other engraving looks very similar to engraving that was being done on some faked up medals groups which surfaced in the upper midwest like 15 or so years ago. Many were very similar in theme, with soiled ribbons, non-standard engraving, something tying the medals to a high award winner of elite unit, & accompanied by a picture that looked like a picture of a picture possibly but which showed someone in combat gear. Some of those medals I refer to also were engraved in a last name first format, but the engraving style / fonts looked strikingly similar.

I got hammered on a Navy Cross / Purple Heart / Commendation Medal & campaign medals grouping that were of the same type and some of the same engraving, in fact the enrgaving on the Good Conduct from this group posted here is I think identical to that on the fake group I had.

I do think the Bronze Star is legit, but that the rest is faked, that someone found a Bronze Star to a man with the same name as the SEAL, and then created the rest of the "group" to make the Bronze Star part of a group it was not truly part of. Now before I get jumped for my opinion, it is just that. Sorry, but I think this group is just not a legit one.

MW

There are also at least 6 Thomas G. Phillips in the WW2 enlistment records on Ancestry.com, and at least 17 Thomas G. Phillips in the Social Security Death Index there. With that said, I think it is quite possible the Bronze Star was from a WW2 Army vet. The Purple Heart I am not so sure of, but in light of my other comments, I will stick with this not being a legit group. Doesn't matter if there was a TGP who was a SEAL or not, I suspect there was, that still does not address the other problems I see with this group.

MW

Sorry folks, but I will be the contrarian here and say it is a made up group in my humble opinion.

Now before I get jumped for my opinion, it is just that. Sorry, but I think this group is just not a legit one.

MW

MW,

I won't be critical of your opinion, and either should anybody else. You had a bad experience, personally, that has heightened your senses. All you are doing is pointing out what you learned, (the hard way) to try and help someone else. After all, we have all expressed our opinions based on our knowledge, experience or hope that this group may be special.

I personally find it boring and offensive when people can't express their opinions without criticism. :thumbsup:

(That is, unless you don't agree with me!! :lol: )

Was it a common practice for a SEAL to be awarded an Air Medal? Curious so I am just asking!

Mike

USAF Retired

The Air Medal dosen't surprise me,( the Seals jump from aircraft), the Bronze Star does. I believe that at least ONE of those BSM's should be a Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal.

FrankEaton01
why is there a bronze star on the air medal? Shouldn't that be an oak leaf?

I don't know if they're currently authorized, but during the 1960's - 1970's, the Navy used a 3/16" bronze star to denote the first individual award of an Air Medal. Subsequent individual awards were represented by 5/16" gold stars. Strike/flight awards were represented by numerals.

• 2 years later...

I could swear I saw this group before with plenty of writing/info, either on ebay or do you have a private site Mitch?