gar medal question

cabbell2006

Hello,

I just recently bought a gar medal with a colonel bar pinned to the center of the ribbon. I have seen on other sights pictures of this bar as the top suspension bar and not pinned to the middle. My question is was this a common practice? think.gif

thanks gang

Rank straps used as top bars indicate a current officer; rank straps on the ribbon indicate a past officer. The color of the ribbon edges indicate the level of the office (blue edges - post; red edges - department; buff edges - national). The rank depicted on the strap relates to the office (e.g., a colonel's strap on a blue-edged ribbon indicates a past post commander).

Rank straps used as top bars indicate a current officer; rank straps on the ribbon indicate a past officer. The color of the ribbon edges indicate the level of the office (blue edges - post; red edges - department; buff edges - national). The rank depicted on the strap relates to the office (e.g., a colonel's strap on a blue-edged ribbon indicates a past post commander).

Thanks JBFloyd for the wonderful info. thumbsup.gif

• 5 months later...

Does any one have advice on how to research the numbers on the GAR membership medals? I have a friend who has a family medal but no other info.

T/Y John

The numbers on GAR membership badges are not traceable.

The prefix letter on such numbers is the surname initial of the Commander-in-Chief at the time the badge was made. Unfortunately, this only narrows down the manufacturing date. Since several C-in-C's had the same surname initals, this often brings up more questions than it answers.