Yellow M1 Helmet

GoldenCross

GoldenCross

I picked this helmet up in 2010 from a surplus store. It's a rear seam.

I'm not too experienced with the nitty-grittiness of identifying helmets just yet but this one's gaudy yellow color is odd to me. When I got it, it had a drawstring net(date unknown), Vietnam era chinstraps, and a Vietnam era elastic band around it. It also had a WWII Firestone Liner in it which is snug and fits perfectly. The height of the helmet is slightly taller than my other helmets that I believe to be Vietnam era. There is a heat temperature stamp on the inside, if that helps anyone.

Did the US ever use yellow paint?

Can anyone help me identify when or where this is from?

Thanks!

post-47309-1308962215.jpg

post-47309-1308962221.jpg

Im guessing US Navy use or possibly US Army in a training setting, like range use?...seeing that it is a deep bowl helmet, probably late WWII or Korea production......mike :thumbsup:

GoldenCross
Im guessing US Navy use or possibly US Army in a training setting, like range use?...seeing that it is a deep bowl helmet, probably late WWII or Korea production......mike :thumbsup:

Awesome, thanks for the insight! :thumbsup: Didn't even consider that it might be a training helmet..

G.C.

• 8 years later...

At Ft. Campbell in 67 we saw both yellow and white on the ranges, but from looking at the pictures they were liners not M-1 steel.

Seen an Orange painted steel helmet in one of my 60s basic yearbooks, Dix or Jackson, it has one of those solid Black rank decals on it, Staff Sergeant I think. But in many respects these seem to be more glossy right, like the Yellow liner at Bliss, the one in the OP is very matte, would expect it be a at lest a semi gloss if a range cadre one.