Some recent Air Force patch finds.

irish

John, this evening I received the following response to our query, with which I feel comfortable to concur:

"I don't think there is any way to tie this unit to a specific unit. At most it symbolizes participation in Linebacker II. Somebody said, "I want to have a patch representing my involvement in LB II," and went to a local sew shop and had some made. Collectors should keep in mind that a lot of patches worn by Airmen are just generic, and will never be anything else. These kind of "I was there" patches are just personal souvenirs and are not unit associated. Having said all that, if I was to Categorize it, I would file it under SAC Operations - Operation Linebacker II..."

That, to me, rings true.

I still hold out hope that one day, by some miracle, the airman or airmen who were proud to make such a patch for their contributions to Linebacker might surface, here or somewhere, and tell us all the full story behind the patch.

Whatever that story might fully be, I am pretty sure it was contemporaneous with the events in-country and was a treasure to the men who had it made. Generics pose (to me anyhow) the most vexing and interesting patches outside the rarest of the rare.

I'd be delighted to have found it and have it as a legitimate specimen in my collection were it mine.

Hopefully, my focus on this has not embarrassed anyone...

My hat is off to you Bluehawk for persistence. While I do not think it is a recently made piece it could likely have been made late war 1974 -75 as we were leaving Thailand. But anything is possible.

My hat is off to you Bluehawk for persistence. While I do not think it is a recently made piece it could likely have been made late war 1974 -75 as we were leaving Thailand. But anything is possible.

Thank you.

I have now submitted your patch for consideration of inclusion with USAFpatches.com generic gallery.