My WWI Era Portrait Collection

cthomas

Nice one Chuck !

Don't you mean 102nd Artillery?

Hmmm...I got the ID from an auction on Ebay. There were a couple of these images that were sold on Ebay last year. I got one of them. I forgot to record the unit ID when scanning the image into my photo archive. I thought I was SOL until I saw that other image come up for sale. It was from this other auction that I copied the ID as being 103rd Artillery. As you may know, the 103rd was part of the 26th Div. Maybe I recorded it wrong? Do you know differently? Are those painted helmets for the 102nd?

Very nice Chuck! I'll have to post some of mine some day. thumbsup.gif

Tom-

If you're in the mood to post some of those awesome images in your collection, then you may want to check out the thread I started here:

They All Wore the Wool...

I know you can make some fine contributions to that topic....

-Chuck

Hmmm...I got the ID from an auction on Ebay. There were a couple of these images that were sold on Ebay last year. I got one of them. I forgot to record the unit ID when scanning the image into my photo archive. I thought I was SOL until I saw that other image come up for sale. It was from this other auction that I copied the ID as being 103rd Artillery. As you may know, the 103rd was part of the 26th Div. Maybe I recorded it wrong? Do you know differently? Are those painted helmets for the 102nd?

Hmmm, well I can't make it out of the photo but it could be 103rd.

But anyway verry nice photographs !

Thanks for sharing !

Silvano

Thanks for sharing !

Silvano

My pleasure. Thanks for your input!

Beast- That is one outstanding of a WWI Marine. I appreciate you sharing it with us all.

-Chuck

• 11 months later...
ww1collector

Noticed that your photos are imprinted with your name. I have a photocopy of Lt Foster Beamsley, 101 AB that has "BO COLLECTION" imprinted--any idea who that is-I would like to get a real photo image of Beamsley. Thanks, Dave Sleeper

Good morning, Dave.

Those initials don't ring a bell. I'm sorry I can't help you here. I wish you the best in finding a real photo of Beamsley.

-Chuck

Noticed that your photos are imprinted with your name. I have a photocopy of Lt Foster Beamsley, 101 AB that has "BO COLLECTION" imprinted--any idea who that is-I would like to get a real photo image of Beamsley. Thanks, Dave Sleeper

• 3 months later...
I call this awesome image 'Everything but the Kitchen Sink'. Note the holstered .45 at his side and the gas mask bag hanging off his fully loaded backpack. His helmet has a shield shaped background with the number '1' painted on the right side. Looks like 1st Division to me. He also wears the leather jerkin. Back has a note signed "Bullah" and is dated ".... (cannot make out location), Germany, Jan. 1919. The unusual border on front is typical of German studios. Image also has traditional German postcard format on back. This would make for an excellent reference in the future for other photo collectors.

:think:

Sir,

Could this be a member of the 1st Pioneer Infantry?? It looks like the an axe and pick on the side to me. Could this possibly be? Do you have anything on the 1st Pioneer Infantry??

Great photos !!!!!

Thanks,

George.

George-

Thanks for your interest in this photo. I looked at the original again under magnification & what I think you're seeing is a scratch on the helmet. There's nothing else emitting from the 'shield'. I did, however, make out the location

"Prum, Germany" whereas earlier, I wasn't sure of the town/city.

All things considered, I can see why you're interested in the 1st Pioneer Infantry. According to Rinaldi's book on the Army order of battle for ground units in the World War, the 1st Pioneer would have been part of the 3rd Army of Occupation. Do any of your sources mention if the 1st PI was in Prum, Germany?

-Chuck