My WWI Era Portrait Collection

cthomas

A very nice colletion of images. The photo of Charles Smith is somewhat haunting... the look in his eyes. I grew up near Morgantown WV.

Thanks guys. My pleasure in sharing them with the crew. I also agree with the Charles Smith image-that look in his eyes says all :(

Here's a nice wartime portrait of some 416th MTC guys with their war trophies. The officer is wearing either an extremely polished pair of MTC disks or they're custom made out of silver. He also wears a pair of spurs. The sgt. on far left wears a French Adrian Helmet on backwards. Also note the horseshoe above the door way for good luck.

post-518-1193595709.jpg

An interesting group shot in an ad hoc photo studio somewhere in France. It looks like this studio was in a destroyed building. Most of these guys are either corporals or sergeants. Can't make out the collar disks which might have shown their branch of service.

post-518-1193596007.jpg

OK...got one more for today and it's a winner! Check this out:

An American female ambulance driver who served with the French military. She wears the rank of sergeant in the medical service and chevrons with over 6 months service, but not 1 year. Note the use of French collar insignia. I'm trying to positively ID the cap device she wears. They look American. Can anyone help me positively ID it? Signed by the photographer 'Zamphel Studio NY'. Not 100% on the studio name.

post-518-1193596759.jpg

William 'Billy' Levere of the YMCA. Billy was known as the "Jolly Knight of the Red Triangle". After the war, he wrote a book entitled "The History of Sigma Alfa Epsilon in the World War" which was published for the Fraternity in its 72nd year, 1928. The portrait you see here is the exact one used on page 233 of this book.

post-518-1193676850.jpg

TrenchRaider1918

cthomas, I do appreciate the style of this era, how men sat cross legged, studio portraits with vases and fanciful motifs. So simple and classical. It all seems to be forgotten nowadays, thanks for this posting. Some good pictures of the 89th, BTW.

cthomas, I do appreciate the style of this era, how men sat cross legged, studio portraits with vases and fanciful motifs. So simple and classical. It all seems to be forgotten nowadays, thanks for this posting. Some good pictures of the 89th, BTW.

Just call me Chuck, 'trenchraider1918'. I too love the style of the photography back then. I guess that's one of the reason why I've been so interested in collecting them. Not only that but you have some outstanding uniform detail for future reference. Can't beat it!

Here are a few more portraits. Speaking of detail...there are some excellent, clear views of SSI's in this lot.

Guys...please feel free to help me on the details of what you see in each portrait. I'm still learning myself think.gif

I do look forward to your comments!

Captain L.L Marriott taken somewhere in France. I can't make out his branch insignia....

post-518-1193841335.jpg

Co. D, 347th Infantry, 87th Division with an unusual, full embroidered variant of the 87th's SSI. Note the loose stitching on the embroidery and the lack of a background to the oak leaf. The leaf appears to have a dark border to accentuate the detail. Also notice he's wearing a private purchase OS cap with a thick, dark colored piping along the edges (Artillery?).

post-518-1193842955.jpg

This doughboy of Co. K, 51st Infantry, 6th Division has yet to earn his honorable discharge stripe. This one was probably taken 'Over There' shortly after the Armistice was signed.

post-518-1193843121.jpg

Co. F, 101st Engineerss, 26th 'Yankee' Division soldiers posing somewhere in France. The SSI is the applied variation to wool backing. Note the soldier seated is only wearing one collar disk.

post-518-1193843445.jpg

An 89th Division doughboy posing somewhere in Germany. Not just any normal SSI. This one has what appears to be a cross in the white field.

Most likely 314th Sanitary Train.

Most likely 314th Sanitary Train.

Sounds very plausible to me. Thanks!

I'd also like to add that this is exactly the type of information I'm looking for in regards to any of the other images. If it's not ID'd, please feel free to post your comments!

Thank you for sharing your excellent collection of photos. I also think this was a great era. Simply yet sophisticated. It seems the "LOOK" or "STARE" says it all. This was truly a great post to the past. Again, thank you for sharing.

4starchris

Thank you for sharing your excellent collection of photos. I also think this was a great era. Simply yet sophisticated. It seems the "LOOK" or "STARE" says it all. This was truly a great post to the past. Again, thank you for sharing.

4starchris

You're welcome. I too love b/w photography from that era. They had a talent for capturing the subject which is an art form unto itself. Sort of like the classical painters from long,long ago.

I would like to thank all who have come forward and posted here. It's good to know that we can all appreciate their content and maybe learn a thing or two in the process.

Now for more neat images

A very nice Saugerties, N.Y. studio portrait of a 'Lost Battalion' soldier from the famed 77th Division. He wears a bullion SSI, Co. G & US/308 Infantry collar disks, 1 HD chevron and 2 chevrons totallingr 1 year's service overseas. It looks like he was one of the lucky few to have escaped without being wounded. If any one can help me track down who this could possibly be, that would be appreciated. Growing up in N.Y. myself amongst a large population of Italians and coming from a traditional Italian family, I believe I can say with certainty that this doughboy has strong Italian roots. I took a quick look at Co. G's roster and came up with a few possibles. I need to research it further though to consider all the possibilities. In the mean time, please feel free to help me in IDing him. Thanks!

post-518-1194019665.jpg

A Co.B, 324th Infantry, 81st 'Wild Cat' Division doughboy posing in NICE,FRANCE. Great shot of an unusual variant of the 81st' SSI which appears to be of applied construction.

post-518-1194020012.jpg

I call this awesome image 'Everything but the Kitchen Sink'. Note the holstered .45 at his side and the gas mask bag hanging off his fully loaded backpack. His helmet has a shield shaped background with the number '1' painted on the right side. Looks like 1st Division to me. He also wears the leather jerkin. Back has a note signed "Bullah" and is dated ".... (cannot make out location), Germany, Jan. 1919. The unusual border on front is typical of German studios. Image also has traditional German postcard format on back. This would make for an excellent reference in the future for other photo collectors.

post-518-1194021201.jpg

Another fully loaded doughboy image. This time he wears an issued OS cap (1917 helmet strapped to back) and poses with his '03 rifle. He wears the M1918 wool overcoat. Image was also taken somewhere in Germany.

post-518-1194022327.jpg