My WWI Era Portrait Collection

cthomas

Hey Chuck:

Great pics, but I like the first one the best as I have an interest in the firearms and holsters. The photo has a nice view of the guy on the left wearing his Model of 1912 holster. I wonder who the joker is in the middle, Uncle Sam? Thanks for the post.

Charlie Flick

Charlie-

Thanks for IDing the holster. I must admit I'm new to WWI collecting so any feedback you guys give will be appreciated.

Dirk- Got many, many more to go!

-Chuck

Some 77th Division soldiers posing in painted helmets. I can barely make out one of the names on their gas mask bags. I would have been tickled pink of they were 'Lost Battalion' but I think not. It appears these guys (at least one of them) belong to the 305th Infantry. Neat photo regardless...

post-518-1193180843.jpg

A group portrait of some 318th Rgt., 80th Division medical detachment doughboys. The two visible SSI's show two different construction techniques. ID'd on back to a P. Vogt (I think...)

post-518-1193181806.jpg

Here's one of my favorites showing an overloaded truck with a little bit of everything...Navy, 81st Div, 90th Div and a couple of other SSI's I couldn't ID.

That'll be it for tonight. See you soon!

post-518-1193182296.jpg

Thank you for this info. But why wear two patches? Is it a non-regulation display of insignia or am I missing something here? I thought the regs were for the qualification patch to be worn on the right sleeve. Never seen it on both.

-Chuck

Insignia on both sleeves was entirely correct and according to regulation until WW1 (1918, I think) when the regs were changed to rank chevrons only on one sleeve. At some point the artillery qualification chevrons ceased to be worn (maybe shortly after WW1-- more knowledgible folks please respond).

Insignia on both sleeves was entirely correct and according to regulation until WW1 (1918, I think) when the regs were changed to rank chevrons only on one sleeve. At some point the artillery qualification chevrons ceased to be worn (maybe shortly after WW1-- more knowledgible folks please respond).

Thanks! Learned something new twice today. I can guarantee it won't be the last time that happens...

To one and all-

Please feel free to comment on the photos. If you see something I didn't describe, or if I do so incorrectly, by all means-let me know!

-Chuck

An 82nd Division Musician. The center field of the patch appears to be made of velvet. He also appears to be wearing a 1911 style cotton tunic

post-518-1193348792.jpg

A nice studio image of an 89th Division doughboy with helmet, gas mask bag and web gear. Rank insignia on right sleeve might be for a Corporal or Sergeant.

post-518-1193349791.jpg

Some doughboys with the 161st Infantry, 90th Division (note the use of French numerals on their OS caps) taking time to pose with their Anzac friend.

post-518-1193350065.jpg

Another 89th division soldier with MTC (Motor Transportation Corps) collar disk and whistle on chain. He wears a standard US disk on the OS cap. Don't know if you can tell from this low res scan but there appears to be something above & below the "US" on the cap disk. They appear to be real short horizontal lines (1 above & 1 below-not even the length of the US), as if they were stitches attaching it that way.

post-518-1193350235.jpg

A crystal clear studio shot of a helmeted doughboy from the 89th division, Quartermaster Corps (disk). It appears he has something painted to the left side of his helmet. One of my favorites and the image I use for my avatar :)

Thanks Ben ;)

post-518-1193350887.jpg

OK. One last image for today....

A soldier of Co. D 8th IR 3rd Army of Occupation. Note the cloth disk backing which was popular with doughboys on Occupation duties in Germany.

post-518-1193353522.jpg