My WWI Era Portrait Collection

cthomas

OK guys. Don't tear me apart if some are pre WWI or after. Let's just call it WWI era and have some fun with these neat images. It's always been my passion to collect such photos and I'm only too glad to share them with the rest of the collecting community. All I ask is you happen to see something you want to publish, just ask and we'll work something out. Now, I hope you will take the time to share my passion with me. Enjoy the images!

-Chuck Thomas

PS For all those who've seen some of these posted in other threads, please forgive the repeats. I thought it best to focus my images here. ;)

post-518-1193103436.jpg

I count at least 5 stars on this 3rd Div doughboy's victory ribbon. It also looks like he's wearing a Purple Heart ribbon bar but I don't see the wound strip.

post-518-1193104266.jpg

A nice clear portrait of a 3rd div soldier name Clarence Mosser. He sporting 4 stars to his victory ribbon and a high quality velvet SSI.

post-518-1193104643.jpg

Medical Officer with Occupational variant of the 4th Division patch. He has 4 stars to his victory ribbon and a silver & bronze one to the other unidentified ribbon. I originally thought the Captain's bars were the bullion style but I don't think so. They appear to be the typical false bullion style.

post-518-1193105416.jpg

I think these guys are either 5th or 28th division from the SSI partially visible on the soldier standing far right. Nice image of the leather jerkin and boots in wear.

post-518-1193105884.jpg

Neat portrait labeled "12th Company Baseball Team" in the Philippines, 1917. Note the double PFC Artillery patches being worn by a few in this group. There are names on back along with other info.

post-518-1193106750.jpg

OK, last one for tonight and it's one of my rarer images. I'll be back soon!

A doughboy of the 16th Company, 5th Anti-Aircraft Regiment. Check out that SSI!

post-518-1193107716.jpg

I count at least 5 stars on this 3rd Div doughboy's victory ribbon. It also looks like he's wearing a Purple Heart ribbon bar but I don't see the wound strip.

Unless the pic was taken Post-1932 he wouldn't be wearing a PH ribbon bar......it didn't exist until then. Great photos...Thanks for posting.

S/F.........Bob

Unless the pic was taken Post-1932 he wouldn't be wearing a PH ribbon bar......it didn't exist until then. Great photos...Thanks for posting.

S/F.........Bob

I learned something new today. Thanks Bob for that little bit of information thumbsup.gif

And thanks for the compliments. Got many more to post!

-Chuck

Those are not PFC chevrons on the 12th Comapny Coast or Field Artillery soldier. They are Gunner's qualification insignia. PFC would be crossed cannon.

Thank you for this info. But why wear two patches? Is it a non-regulation display of insignia or am I missing something here? I thought the regs were for the qualification patch to be worn on the right sleeve. Never seen it on both.

-Chuck

Charlie Flick

Hey Chuck:

Great pics, but I like the first one the best as I have an interest in the firearms and holsters. The photo has a nice view of the guy on the left wearing his Model of 1912 holster. I wonder who the joker is in the middle, Uncle Sam? Thanks for the post.

Charlie Flick