CBI Theater made Chinese and India wings

Jack's Son

In another thread, "Rustywings"(Russ), asked me to post this wing for discussion. He had a different opinion then mine on it's origin, and wanted to open it up for comment.

Needless to say, his knowledge is much greater then mine, so I dug into the wing more to be able to defend my conclusions.

This was a fun experience and worth the effort. Needless to say I have more information now, and a better understanding of the wind. With this new knowledge, it will be easier to understand the points Russ will make!!

Please join in!!

This is the Wing that I "incorrectly" identified as a theater made Chinese Wing.

post-8213-1308933321.jpg post-8213-1308933380.jpg

The pin is British / Commonwealth style JS.

Ian

Hi Ian,

Yes.........after more research, it appears that the wing was made in India. ;)

Hi Ian,

Yes.........after more research, it appears that the wing was made in India. ;)

What tells you this is made in India? Can you tell us what you turned up in your research?

....Kat

What tells you this is made in India? Can you tell us what you turned up in your research?

....Kat

Kat,

After looking at other examples, the pin and catch may have been changed. If not, they are more likely to be on an Indian made wing. On closer look the wing itself is theater made, but is not a Chinese style, and along with the pin and catch would more likely be Indian.

There are a few different styles of Indian design, we will learn more as this thread progresses.

Kat,

After looking at other examples, the pin and catch may have been changed. If not, they are more likely to be on an Indian made wing. On closer look the wing itself is theater made, but is not a Chinese style, and along with the pin and catch would more likely be Indian.

There are a few different styles of Indian design, we will learn more as this thread progresses.

Thanks JS!

Great wings!

Let me start by saying I'm just offering up an opinion. I don't have any hard documented facts to present. But I believe your Pilot wing and your Liaison Pilot wing were more likely made in India, than China. I've been fortunate enough to talk with two different CBI assigned pilots and both told me the place to shop for supplies and gifts during the war was downtown Calcutta, India. Apparently both Calcutta and Delhi had (and still have) large silver jewelry districts which was a favorite for servicemen.

I was given a WWII US Army issued 50 page pamphlet entitled "The Calcutta Key." It describes the do's & don'ts while visiting Calcutta. It lists local military insignia shops, suit & tailor shops, and a variety of other stores which catered to GI's needs. There were listings for a dozen small shops which produced military bracelets, DI's, wings, cigarette cases and anything else you wanted custom-made.

Besides the stong British influence found with the pin assembly on Indian-made wings, I've seen a few with letters punched on the back. Most Chinese-made wings have either raised Chinese characters, or numbers inscribed on the back. Here's a Pilot wing which was probably made by the same hands that produced Jack's Son's wing.

Note the initials or hallmark on the back.

IMG_2488_crop.jpg

I bought a nice CBI grouping years ago. Included on the Air Corps coat was a Pilot wing identical to your Liaison Pilot, minus the letter "L"...and CBI made DI's.

Also included in the grouping were two Army Air Corps patches with "Calcutta - India" stamped on the reverse.

IMG_2482_crop.jpg

I agree on India. I have a few AAF DI's made and marked Calcutta with the same British type pin. I am not home or I would add some pictures!

Nice! :thumbsup:

Russ and "M",

I can't disagree with either of you! The pin and catch seem to be the deciding factors here, and I can't post a different specimen that I can say with certainty is Chinese to show a difference. I am hoping if this thread sticks around long enough, others might join in.

While I am pleased that all of the pieces of my CBI collection ARE theater made, I would like to be accurate in my description of each piece. We may hope to find some answers with this and other threads.

Thank you both for joining in! ;)

I was given a WWII US Army issued 50 page pamphlet entitled "The Calcutta Key." It describes the do's & don'ts while visiting Calcutta. It lists local military insignia shops, suit & tailor shops, and a variety of other stores which catered to GI's needs. There were listings for a dozen small shops which produced military bracelets, DI's, wings, cigarette cases and anything else you wanted custom-made.

GI's shopping in downtown Calcutta. Note the USAAF & CBI insignia on display in front of this shop.

post-4542-1308966082.jpg

John Cooper

WOW I love the wings you guys posted and tanks Russ for the nice bit of information! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

John

I believe these two-inch Pilot wings were made in India as well. Some CBI made wings, with their unusual feathering detail, are really eye-catching.

IMG_2500_crop.jpg

Back of the Command Pilot. The wreath and star are attached only at the shoulders of the wings.

IMG_2491_crop.jpg