M6 gasmask bag for a Medic ?

luft

hi everyone,

Have a question for my medic impression uniform:

It's possible to remplace the 2 medic pouches by a M6 gas mask bag ?

i ask that because some people says to me, "that's possible" but have some doubts :unsure: For informations, isn't for a full american uniform but for a free french 2e DB-RBFM medic uniform impression.

BTW, interested too for know if it's possible for a ww2 us medic impression :thumbsup:

Thanks for replies ;)

Thierry

For Moderators: If it's out of themas for the forum, don't hesitate to lock and delete my topic ;) Thanks for your understanding

Remember that the M6 bag was the best soldier's friend and it has always been additional musette bag for the US troops. Tons of wartime images confirm it. Nobody answered your question so far because not so many people are interested in medical affairs. On the other hand nobody has the right to tell: "The M6 bags have never been used by the combat medics". It would be impossible that combat medics were the only one US Army's group that did not like and use M6s for their frontline tasks.

Johan Willaert

I doubt they would have carried everything in the M6 bag and done away with all other Medic equipment or bags...

As said above the GAS Mask Bag was used to carry all kinds of gear around, so IMO it would be possible to use it fro a Medic impression...

FYI here's an M6 bag used to carry Medical Supplies in the ETO. This one came from Normandy (St Lo region) but I have no further info on it...

post-92-1308989660.jpg

Thanks for your replies guys ;)

Totaly agree with your opinion gregory about utilization as musette by soldier after trowing away gas mask. And thanks for the example johan, very interesting and not very current for sure!

So that possible but not a generality, i take good notes of that for my medic impression

Many thanks

Thierry

hi everyone,

Have a question for my medic impression uniform:

It's possible to remplace the 2 medic pouches by a M6 gas mask bag ?

i ask that because some people says to me, "that's possible" but have some doubts :unsure: For informations, isn't for a full american uniform but for a free french 2e DB-RBFM medic uniform impression.

BTW, interested too for know if it's possible for a ww2 us medic impression :thumbsup:

Thanks for replies ;)

Thierry

For Moderators: If it's out of themas for the forum, don't hesitate to lock and delete my topic ;) Thanks for your understanding

I've never seen any photos of the M6 bag used by medics. I highly doubt any exist in my opinion. The M6 bag is not nearly as easy to open as a medic kit pouch or a canvas field bag. When someone is injured I am sure a medic will only pick what is quick and easy to use.

I've never seen any photos of the M6 bag used by medics. I highly doubt any exist in my opinion. The M6 bag is not nearly as easy to open as a medic kit pouch or a canvas field bag. When someone is injured I am sure a medic will only pick what is quick and easy to use.

can understand your point of view Juan, but for a NCO medic who carriying near only gauzes, bandages, and 1st aid dressing, i guess that gas mask musette are most practical when you want made a more light webbing set or thing like that. but they can conserve inserts for find more quickly items like iodine, acid boric ointment, morphine.

AMO, isn't a current or regular pratice but a personnal way to do for some reasons :think:

Thierry

I think it is really up to you. It is always best to use the equipment that you research to be correct to your impression, whether by photographic means, personal or written accounts, so on. I do know the M6 bag was used by some medics in the 36th ID. I in fact am a real medic and when I portray a medic as my WW2 impression I do carry my standard medics bag but also have a M6 with real medic gear in it in the event of an actual medical situation. I do that as the M6 bag is easier to work from unlike the standard medic bag where basically you must dump everything to get to what you need. So in the end it is really up to you. My M6 (like the ones used by some 36th ID medics) has the red cross section of a medics brassard sewn to the lid. I don't have it handy or I'd send you a photo. The early WW2 Navy Corpsman Bag was essentially an m6 bag. Hope that helps with your decision.

I think it is really up to you.

I agree. Both variations of the M6s (smaller and larger ones) were so practical and ergonomic that it would be strange situation if combat medics would not use them.

Mr. Bowman (Medical Detachment, 704th TD Bn) wrote me in one of his letters that they used this bag for extra medical supplies.

Too bad I don't have any photos of him carrying this bag.

Maybe being in a mobile unit it was easier to carry these with them?

Erwin

Thank for yours very interesting replies guys!

@docdean: your reply is very helpfull for me, that's help me to clarified in my mind, handling of M6 bag and possible utilisation for it. As you, i want to carrying in it, some ww2 stuff for reenactement and modern medic 1st aid stuff, just in case if someone in my group have a problem like a light wounds (cut, insects bites,etc) or current aches (headache, stomacache, etc), carried in a specific box.

BTW, if you have a photo of your M6, i'll be interested ;) Thanks

@erwin: Thanks for this information! that's help me a lot! Because i represent a mobile unit in ww2 reenact, part of free french 2nd armored division, called RBFM (regiment blindée des fusiliers marins) who use jeep and TD 10 as vehicles, and is equiped only with US stuff for uniforms, vehicles, weapons and equipment.

Thierry