Unusual Lead Made Aerial Gunner Wing

vintageproductions

vintageproductions

ag2.JPGag1.JPG

Does anyone recognize this maker? It is a full size aerial gunners but is lead filled. The backing has small circles with what look like stars in the circle patterns. These came out of a great source with a beautiful snowflake backed Balloon pilot wing.

Humm... a double shoulder type with the winged shell slightly offset to one side. I will have to think about this after work...

Humm... a double shoulder type with the winged shell slightly offset to one side. I will have to think about this after work...

Hi Bob,

To be honest, this almost looks like the "econlead" type insignia that I sometimes see for the WWII shooting bagdes and the qualification bars. They have that sort of 'star' burst pattern.

As for this particular pattern wing, it was a common pattern used pre- WWII. Amcraft and LBG used this pattern with the distinctive shoulder.

Patrick

vintageproductions

Paul & Patrick, Thanks for the info. When you look at them in hand the are very similar to the Q-bar badges, like you mentioned.

Patrick, you will appreciate this, they came out of a jewelery box at Long Beach Vet's stadium yesterday. Thanks again guys.

Bob

Paul & Patrick, Thanks for the info. When you look at them in hand the are very similar to the Q-bar badges, like you mentioned.

Patrick, you will appreciate this, they came out of a jewelery box at Long Beach Vet's stadium yesterday. Thanks again guys.

Bob

Howdy Bob

I heard about lots of goodies at LB flea yesterday that I missed out on--sigh.

Patrick

Patrick - maybe you can shed some light on this but now that I am home and can think a bit more about this... SInce the AG wing did not get auth unitl 1943 and this is the double shoulder pattern as I mentioned in my 1st post which dates to 1920-21 and if I am not mistaken Balfour was the first to production... How many makers used this pattern in mid 1943 and later?

John

Patrick - maybe you can shed some light on this but now that I am home and can think a bit more about this... SInce the AG wing did not get auth unitl 1943 and this is the double shoulder pattern as I mentioned in my 1st post which dates to 1920-21 and if I am not mistaken Balfour was the first to production... How many makers used this pattern in mid 1943 and later?

John

I assume that it is an observer base wing with the gunner device added. So it could be from any number of sources. Many gunner wings (as well as medical, bombardier, etc) used the observer base. The observer wings could have been old stock or new stock made using old dies. Since this is a lead-filled wing, it could have been cast from an earlier wing. It is hard to say. The pattern is typcially seen with pre-war wings, but it wouldnt be unheard of for a wing to be made later using the older base.

Does that make sense?

Patrick