Show off your Named Soldier's Medal

sapper23

Detail of engraving and award card. (I've only owned this medal for about 10 years so I haven't yet gotten around to ordering the G.O. with the full citation.)

post-10651-0-04133900-1479493357_thumb.jpg

post-10651-0-95624900-1479493361_thumb.jpg

Here are a couple of "mystery medals". For Odgis I have a photo and service details but no confirmation or citation for the Soldier's Medal. For McLeod I have biographical details on a man with that name (born 1911, died 1985) but no confirmation of any military service.

For either medal citations or other details of award would be much appreciated.

post-10651-0-56581600-1479494514_thumb.jpg

• 4 years later...
Austin_Militaria

Named and Numbered Soldiers medal to SGT William R Pepin. Rim numbered 1460. Found in a nice untitled case with wide ribbon. 

Sergeant William R. Pepin, United States Army, was awarded the Soldier's Medal for heroism involving voluntary risk of life not involving conflict with an armed enemy, at Beavertail, Rhode Island, on 4 September 1942. On that date Sergeant William R. Pepin, Private First Class Henry W. Arouca, and Private First Class Virgin S. Sousa rescued members of the crew of a Navy airplane which sank after a crash landing. The heroism displayed by Sergeant Pepin on this occasion reflects great credit upon himself and the military service20210124_171043.jpg.bde673b7364fbbaabb4bd1960ee518af.jpg20210124_171124.jpg.a3651618215cece9ed6893ea1d62a708.jpg

20210124_171102.jpg

20210124_171141.jpg

I’ve never been able to find anything on this Soldier’s Medal recipient. With the availability of award cards, I’ll have to give it another try.

AF2E8C2C-6372-439F-9FA5-323D08DCCECC.jpeg

44C44C80-4AB2-4E77-B1AE-AF6BC8ECE583.jpeg

B1B029D2-4C87-497C-912D-B0BE92A64D14.jpeg

13 hours ago, jweitkamp said:

I’ve never been able to find anything on this Soldier’s Medal recipient. With the availability of award cards, I’ll have to give it another try.

I think the certificate (only) sold in an FJP Auction on August 10, 2005 

Good Morning Folks, This is indeed an interesting Thread, & THANKS to whomever initiated it ! I have an unresolved gallantry award issue, & it has occurred to me that just maybe the recipient was not awarded the Silver Star Medal as assumed, but rather the SOLDIER'S MEDAL ?

Now, PLEASE hear me out on this, & see if you either agree or disagree ? Many years ago I obtained an SSM Document[s] Group to TECH. 5, Fraser R. WHITE, ASN 31033567 of Pawtucket, Rhode Island. He was assigned of Battery F [ 2nd Battalion ] 67th Coast Artillery Regiment in Italy, at the time of the event. [ Later, circa January 1944 or so, he was assigned to Btty B, 894th AAA-AW Bttn, also in Italy. The actual event took place on the night of 15 NOVEMBER 1943. [ With all the recommendation Documents brio dated shortly thereafter. ]

All Documents are of the basic, G.I. format as usually submitted 'up the chain' to Higher Command. It appears that the Guy was recommended for an SSM due to his running into an intense enemy artillery barrage to rescue a wounded comrade. As was he was enroute to the immediate area,another artillery shell landed near him & he himself was thrown & flipped over by the blast. Although now injured himself, he proceeded to carry out his original 'mission' He succeeded apparently & was recommended for gallantry. OK, so far, so good. HOWEVER, I have searched high & low for this Soldier for over 20+ years now, & all to no avail !!

So now, I'm starting to investigate other, similar awards, but not the SSM ? Yes, it may have been 'downgraded' to the BSM ? OR, perhaps someone along the line suggested the Soldier's Medal might be more appropriate in this particular instance ??  Although I possess almost all of Col. Gleim's & the old Planchet Press titles, I can't locate the Soldier's Medal edition. Soooooo, if anyone out there has ANY ideas pertaining to this 'dilemma', I would DEEPLY APPRECIATE hearing from them. In addition to any ideas, a 'look I'm within any Soldiers Medal List / Roster will also be very much appreciated. AND lastly, I do APOLOGIZE for interrupting this very interesting Thread, but I thought that if anyone may be able to assist with this particular issue, it would definitely be someone participating within this Thread !! THANK YOU Folks, I appreciate it !!

Best,   Dom P. / [email protected]

3 hours ago, dpast32 said:

Good Morning Folks, This is indeed an interesting Thread, & THANKS to whomever initiated it ! I have an unresolved gallantry award issue, & it has occurred to me that just maybe the recipient was not awarded the Silver Star Medal as assumed, but rather the SOLDIER'S MEDAL ?

Now, PLEASE hear me out on this, & see if you either agree or disagree ? Many years ago I obtained an SSM Document[s] Group to TECH. 5, Fraser R. WHITE, ASN 31033567 of Pawtucket, Rhode Island. He was assigned of Battery F [ 2nd Battalion ] 67th Coast Artillery Regiment in Italy, at the time of the event. [ Later, circa January 1944 or so, he was assigned to Btty B, 894th AAA-AW Bttn, also in Italy. The actual event took place on the night of 15 NOVEMBER 1943. [ With all the recommendation Documents brio dated shortly thereafter. ]

All Documents are of the basic, G.I. format as usually submitted 'up the chain' to Higher Command. It appears that the Guy was recommended for an SSM due to his running into an intense enemy artillery barrage to rescue a wounded comrade. As was he was enroute to the immediate area,another artillery shell landed near him & he himself was thrown & flipped over by the blast. Although now injured himself, he proceeded to carry out his original 'mission' He succeeded apparently & was recommended for gallantry. OK, so far, so good. HOWEVER, I have searched high & low for this Soldier for over 20+ years now, & all to no avail !!

So now, I'm starting to investigate other, similar awards, but not the SSM ? Yes, it may have been 'downgraded' to the BSM ? OR, perhaps someone along the line suggested the Soldier's Medal might be more appropriate in this particular instance ??  Although I possess almost all of Col. Gleim's & the old Planchet Press titles, I can't locate the Soldier's Medal edition. Soooooo, if anyone out there has ANY ideas pertaining to this 'dilemma', I would DEEPLY APPRECIATE hearing from them. In addition to any ideas, a 'look I'm within any Soldiers Medal List / Roster will also be very much appreciated. AND lastly, I do APOLOGIZE for interrupting this very interesting Thread, but I thought that if anyone may be able to assist with this particular issue, it would definitely be someone participating within this Thread !! THANK YOU Folks, I appreciate it !!

Best,   Dom P. / [email protected]

Dom - Perhaps your post would get more "Play" if it was under "Research Assistance" - I did not find White in Gleim's Silver Star Books for a General Order also checking ancestry there is no Hospital Admission Card for his injury, additionally his Bronze Government marker does not mention any awards - not even a Purple Heart.

That being said it is possible that the award was refused and not downgraded or never processed

Bill

THNKS Bill, I appreciate it ! I'll cut & paste it as suggested. I just figured that with all the S.M. afficianados congregating here, it might not be a bad idea. Take care Buddy,

Best,    Dom

17 hours ago, jweitkamp said:

IMG_4057-2.JPG.0b1d727ec23ad0b3f5dd429dc615a945.JPG

Thanks to Frank Smith, the named Lawson medal and certificate are on their way to being reunited. I look forward to researching the action in Iceland for which Lawson was decorated. 

• 4 weeks later...

Here is the story, I will have to dig up the pics.

In March of 1945, Scholander led an unauthorized rescue mission after learning that an airplane had crashed on the peninsula. Survivors had been seen from the sky, however, rescue teams were unable to reach the site overland due to the rough terrain and deep snow. Scholander, along with a medical officer and a chaplain jumped down to the site -with no prior parachuting experience. For his actions, Scholander was considered a hero and was highly recommended to be decorated or cited. Major George M. Sutton wrote to Lt. Col. Irving that it was “Scholander’s single-purpose determination to get to those injured men which finally turned the trick; which gave the two other men courage and resolve.” He received the Soldier’s Medal on April 23 1945, for which the citation reads: “On 18 March 1945, a C-47 aircraft of the 54th Troop Carrier Squadron crashed approximately thirty miles northeast of Fort Randall, Alaska, while enroute to that station from Fort Richardson, Alaska. Wreckage of the aircraft was soon sighed from the air, and some survivors of the six people who had been aboard the plane were seen moving about on the ground. When word that the missing aircraft has been located was brought to Fort Randall, the three officers mentioned above immediately volunteered to parachute down into the tiny valley were the plane had crashed, though this was considered to be a highly dangerous undertaking. However, due to the rugged nature of the country, it was known that ground rescue parties would require several days to reach this isolated spot. The three officers mentioned were, therefore, flown over the site of the crash, and although two of them had never before made a parachute jump, they all unhesitantly parachuted to the ground. Because of the deep snow, the required from one to two hours to reach the wrecked aircraft; Captain Scholander was the first to arrive. Captain Weston, upon his arrival, administered medical aid to the three survivors, one of whom was in critical condition and might have died if help had not arrived so promptly. Captain Weston was assisted by Chaplain Mullen, while Captain Scholander set up a small kitchen in the undamaged lavatory of the C-17 where he prepared medals for everyone present until all were rescued on 23 March. The unselfish courage displayed by Captain Weston, Chaplain Mullen, and Captain Scholander is in keeping with the finest traditions of the service.”

7 minutes ago, dskjl said:

In March of 1945, Scholander led an unauthorized rescue mission after learning that an airplane had crashed on the peninsula. Survivors had been seen from the sky, however, rescue teams were unable to reach the site overland due to the rough terrain and deep snow. Scholander, along with a medical officer and a chaplain jumped down to the site -with no prior parachuting experience. For his actions, Scholander was considered a hero and was highly recommended to be decorated or cited. Major George M. Sutton wrote to Lt. Col. Irving that it was “Scholander’s single-purpose determination to get to those injured men which finally turned the trick; which gave the two other men courage and resolve.” He received the Soldier’s Medal on April 23 1945, for which the citation reads: “On 18 March 1945, a C-47 aircraft of the 54th Troop Carrier Squadron crashed approximately thirty miles northeast of Fort Randall, Alaska, while enroute to that station from Fort Richardson, Alaska. Wreckage of the aircraft was soon sighed from the air, and some survivors of the six people who had been aboard the plane were seen moving about on the ground. When word that the missing aircraft has been located was brought to Fort Randall, the three officers mentioned above immediately volunteered to parachute down into the tiny valley were the plane had crashed, though this was considered to be a highly dangerous undertaking. However, due to the rugged nature of the country, it was known that ground rescue parties would require several days to reach this isolated spot. The three officers mentioned were, therefore, flown over the site of the crash, and although two of them had never before made a parachute jump, they all unhesitantly parachuted to the ground. Because of the deep snow, the required from one to two hours to reach the wrecked aircraft; Captain Scholander was the first to arrive. Captain Weston, upon his arrival, administered medical aid to the three survivors, one of whom was in critical condition and might have died if help had not arrived so promptly. Captain Weston was assisted by Chaplain Mullen, while Captain Scholander set up a small kitchen in the undamaged lavatory of the C-17 where he prepared medals for everyone present until all were rescued on 23 March. The unselfish courage displayed by Captain Weston, Chaplain Mullen, and Captain Scholander is in keeping with the finest traditions of the service.”

It's a really great group. Here are the photos from when it was on eMedals:

Screenshot_32.jpg

Screenshot_33.jpg

Screenshot_34.jpg

Screenshot_35.jpg

Screenshot_37.jpg

Screenshot_39.jpg

Screenshot_43.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Good morning all,

I have an unnamed Soldiers Medal, numbered 1560. Any way to trace this one to a recipient?

Thanks,

Jay

• 3 months later...
Cold Bay Rescue
On 2/21/2021 at 7:56 AM, dskjl said:

On 2/21/2021 at 8:05 AM, Dave said:

It's a really great group. Here are the photos from when it was on eMedals:

Screenshot_32.jpg

Screenshot_33.jpg

Screenshot_34.jpg

Screenshot_35.jpg

Screenshot_37.jpg

Screenshot_39.jpg

Screenshot_43.jpg

Hello, 

Captain/Major Scholander (along with 13 other rescuers) saved my grandfather (flight engineer on the crashed C-47 flight) and I'm trying to find out more about the crash and subsequent rescue.

Is it typical for the Certificate to be dated 18 years after the Soldier's Medal was awarded, as in Major Scholander's case? As the rescue was "unauthorized," I read that Scholander was going to be courtmartialed for insubordination (per his biographical memoirs) but someone high up in Washington eventually canceled that. Could that be the reason?

Also, does anyone have a copy of the documents shown with the Soldier's Medal above that would be willing to share? 

And finally, I'm trying to locate any photos or information on the other rescuers who were awarded the Soldier's Medal for this rescue:

Parachuted to Crash Site:

Captain John Weston, Ardmore PA (doctor)

Captain William P. Mullen, Dubuque, Iowa (chaplain) 

Major George Johnson, Auburn, Alabama (flight surgeon)

PFC Robert N. Goodling, Logansville PA (medic)

PFC Leonard B. Nemhauser, New Brunswick NJ (medic)

Alaskan Scouts/Land Rescue Team/Dog Sled:

Cpl. Billy Westahl, Alaskan Scouts 

Cpl. Wayne O. Markanen, Alaskan Scouts

PFC Elmo Fenn, land rescue unit

PFC Stanley Huhndorf

Crash Boat Crew:

Sgt. Kenneth Bruner

Sgt. Wayne Axelson

PFC Leon M. Wies

S/Sgt. Sherman R. Johnson

My grandfather, Sgt. Paul Sundermier, was also awarded the Soldier's Medal for saving the pilot and co-pilot before the rescuers arrived. I don't have the medal to post. But I thought I'd note it. Thank you for any and all help! (Should I also create an independent post for my query? If so, which forum would be best?)

• 1 year later...

Officially named Soldiers Medal to a Pilot with the 458th BG who was shot down and became a POW 8/9/44 . he earned a Soldier Medal for a previous crash landing, pulling member of his crew to safety. 

Landers1.JPG

Landers2.jpg

Landers3.jpg