Unauthorized US special forces jump wings? original ?

hochiminhtrail

Good Lord, where on Earth did you find this piece of obscurity?

I was searching all through my references and was pretty sure this had to be for a nation in Africa when I took one last look at the US Section of Bragg and Turner's book on Parachute Wings from 1985.

In the picture you will see it identified as an unauthorized Senior jump wing for US Special Forces. Other countries have special wings just for their Special Forces, so why not the USA? However, I do not believe I have ever seen this worn and I don't think it was ever adapted. And you will see above it LRRP and Airborne arced wings that were also never adapted. Unfortunately the book, while full of photos of actual wings, is lacking in notes on this item.

The quality of the wing you show bothers me. The ones in Bragg and Turner look a bit more solid (or it could just be they are cleaner and shinier!)

Interesting item. Hope you got a good story with it!

As for Bragg and Turner, for you sharp eyed Anglophiles, yes that is Prince Charles on the cover receiving his wings.

SF_Jump_Wings.JPG

Bragg_Turner.JPG

hochiminhtrail

Hy many thanks for your research,

well unfortunatly there is no good story behind, i bought a little collection of bits and pieces, some copies some originals and those 2 were in the lot, the metal is very solid you can not bend them just like a fake copy, well i ahve 2 version the one with the Star and the same without a star, very sad that we can not trace it back to somebody.

do you want more Photos ??

cheers

Alex

Good Lord, where on Earth did you find this piece of obscurity?

I was searching all through my references and was pretty sure this had to be for a nation in Africa when I took one last look at the US Section of Bragg and Turner's book on Parachute Wings from 1985.

In the picture you will see it identified as an unauthorized Senior jump wing for US Special Forces. Other countries have special wings just for their Special Forces, so why not the USA? However, I do not believe I have ever seen this worn and I don't think it was ever adapted. And you will see above it LRRP and Airborne arced wings that were also never adapted. Unfortunately the book, while full of photos of actual wings, is lacking in notes on this item.

The quality of the wing you show bothers me. The ones in Bragg and Turner look a bit more solid (or it could just be they are cleaner and shinier!)

Interesting item. Hope you got a good story with it!

As for Bragg and Turner, for you sharp eyed Anglophiles, yes that is Prince Charles on the cover receiving his wings.

hochiminhtrail

But seeing the two badges next to another, i can tell that there is difference i did not notice before, the badge with the star is a much softer metal i can bend it a little and if i do it to much it will break.

the other one without a star the basic, is thicker and heavier and you can not bend it a all, it puzzles me why there are made with in 2 different ways, even if fake??.

the pin system on both are exactly the same

both badges have a little green oxidation to the back( just minor spots)

Cheers

Alex

Hy many thanks for your research,

well unfortunatly there is no good story behind, i bought a little collection of bits and pieces, some copies some originals and those 2 were in the lot, the metal is very solid you can not bend them just like a fake copy, well i ahve 2 version the one with the Star and the same without a star, very sad that we can not trace it back to somebody.

do you want more Photos ??

cheers

Alex

craig_pickrall

In the first Bragg and Turner book they showed the similar wing for the 82nd that was a Freefall Wing. I think the one shown in the first post here was the SF version. I believe all of these came about while first trying ti get a HALO wing approved. I'm pretty sure these are written up in Chute and Dagger but I have no idea which issue. If anyone has a clue as to a date I will look them up and take pics.

hochiminhtrail

Well these 2 came with the first type of HALO wings that i also have, i did post them in this Forum, the HALO set wich are JFK marked and wich are very very heavy.

Cheers

Alex

In the first Bragg and Turner book they showed the similar wing for the 82nd that was a Freefall Wing. I think the one shown in the first post here was the SF version. I believe all of these came about while first trying ti get a HALO wing approved. I'm pretty sure these are written up in Chute and Dagger but I have no idea which issue. If anyone has a clue as to a date I will look them up and take pics.

vintageproductions

The ones shown in the photo look like pieces made for the collector market and sold in catalogs and surplus stores.

hochiminhtrail

well then propbably mine to

thanks Bob

cheers

Alex

uote name='vintageproductions' date='Oct 23 2007, 09:36 AM' post='71196']

The ones shown in the photo look like pieces made for the collector market and sold in catalogs and surplus stores.