What WW2 uniform do you collect?

History Man

Whats your favorite type of WW2 uniform?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. what service do you collect?

• Navy
    • Army
    • Marine Corps
    • Army Air Corps

History Man

great uniforms posted so far! :thumbsup: i like that AAF general jacket. you dont see them so often as other high rankers. i am going to post some USN Jumpers i have. ;)

Philip

Dittoes to that...there are uniforms here the like of which I've never seen before; I get so stuck in my "Olive Drab combat clothes" world that I forget just what all is out there.

Unbelievable stuff :thumbsup:

post-5349-1308739712.jpgI voted AAF. I love the 8th AAF items. Right now this one is one of the best looking uniforms I have. It has a great 8th patch that you can not see in this photo. Topped off with a Bancroft Flighter.

Steve

That is one of the nicest 8th AF tunics I have seen in a while. The bullion is awesome, and the snap on wings really top it off! Thank you for posting.

There are some great uniforms in this thread, my favorite is over in the "Groupings" forum (9th AF pilots tunic)

History Man

alas no :crying: the ike jacket i took a pic of with the brit made AAF patch is made of extremely fine quality wool. almost the material used for officer jackets. are WW2 AAF WO uniforms hard to find? :think:

i really like the bullion overseas stripes on it too!

History Man

i paid around $25 for it and the ike was $20 since it came with pants. were those fair prices for them? hey, did anyone happen to get an Admiral Sharp dress uniform?

Philip

CNY Militaria

Those are great prices, buy them ALL day long for that! I wonder if the ghost 12th AAF patch might actually be an 83rd ID? You generally see WO's in the Army and FO's in the AAF during the war. Although it is possible.

CNY Militaria

Here is a neat Navy one you might enjoy. RADM Rupert M. Zimmerli, one of 20 USN personnel ever to receive the British DSO. He received it during Operation Torch in North Africa where he coordinated the landings.

Zimmerli.jpg

History Man

now thats a great choker jacket. what happened to the shoulder boards? i am getting a WW2 USN uniform grouping from Costa. that has his jumper uniform, choker uniform, tan uniform. and standard blues. also comes with paperwork and caps.

can you post a picture of the 83rd ID patch and the 12th AAF patch so i can match it up?

thanks,

Philip

History Man

the ghost patch is more like a 12th AAF patch. i wonder if anyone has a fleet or 4 star admiral uniform. i know Matt has one but does anyone else? :think:

CNY Militaria

Too bad the WO uniform isn't named, would have made for great research!

No 4 star USN here, only Army 4-Stars.

History Man

can you post that one? i am trying to get into the higher ranks of the USN and USAAF. for USN i am looking for Admiral and Chief uniforms. For USAAF i am looking for officers and for combat aircrew. the only difference is that since i am trying to get a more developed USAAF collection i am looking for anything. i am getting an 8th AAF ike jacket i will post for you guys to look at.

it is too bad that the uniform isnt named. to make sure i will look around the whole uniform.

Philip

CNY Militaria

Just remember--the higher in rank you get, the more expensive it gets! (especially if you are looking for a 4-Star) I hope you are ready :thumbsup:

for USN i am looking for Admiral and Chief uniforms.

Here you go...Admiral Stark's WW2 blue jacket...

Stark1.jpg

Here's Admiral Towers' WW2 blue uniform... (bad photo taken right after a trip to the cleaners, I had better, but can't find them)

Towers1.jpg

post-5349-1309018273.jpgpost-5349-1309018288.jpgHello Philip, here is a Flight Officer jacket I got from a fellow forum member. It is not from the 8th AAF but it is named. I will keep it until I find one from the 8th AAF. I have about 14 8th uniforms and jackets on display and another 5 or 6 that I have no room for. Everything from simple Enlisted 4 pockets and Ikes to custom made high quality jackets. About half are named.

History Man

i really love those 2 Admiral uniforms :w00t: i also like that FO uniform w/ the felt AAF patch as well. ;) i am thinking about going into the higher ranks in USN but those are very expensive so i might hold off for a little bit. For USAAF i am looking for officer and enlisted uniforms so i can build a nice colllection.

Philip

History Man

i agree. those 2 uniforms are beautiful and i really like the Admiral Towers uniform. i do have a question. why does the Admiral Stark uniform have the same ribbon right next to each other? :think:

Philip

i agree. those 2 uniforms are beautiful and i really like the Admiral Towers uniform. i do have a question. why does the Admiral Stark uniform have the same ribbon right next to each other? :think:

Philip

They aren't...they are the Navy Expeditionary and Mexican Service...