Korean War Infantryman, Summer 1951

Captainofthe7th

Captainofthe7th

Loosely based on my grandfather, then PFC later Cpl. Since I picked up the bayonet recently I could finally do a fun little photo shoot in my backyard. I plan on doing a few more, I may compile the best shots into my display section since, after all, this is more of a display of the uniforms and gear I've acquired relating to the Korean War.

Here's the usual front/back/side:

DSCF0075.jpg

DSCF0076.jpg

DSCF0077.jpg

Now I had some fun, patrolling the MLR of course.

DSCF0078.jpg

aim.jpg

nade.jpg

prone.jpg

compass.jpg

More to come - looking to do a mid-war USMC impression and a later war Army impression soon as well. Then maybe I'll think about WWII and Vietnam...

Rob

alphaomegaman13

nice kit rob missed you at reading this year, hope to see you at the dunbarton, NH tactical in july. I been trying to get a korea kit together, still need a few items- maybe we can a korean war impression at some event sometime.

-Louis

post-23321-1308534411.jpg

Captainofthe7th

Louis!! I was wondering if that was you! How are you man? I'm planning on going to Dunbarton but I never paid my dues for the YD this year so I'm not even on the roster. Whatever. I'll just show up I guess. Glad to know you'll be there. I was thinking about Reading but had a couple other things going on including work so I skipped it. I hope you had fun.

I'd love to do a KW impression with you. I know Brian has a couple going, too.

Thanks for the comments guys!

Rob

Great impression! Keep up the good work and looking forward to seeing more pictures of your impressions.

Bryan

Captainofthe7th

It'll be a few months before I break out the winter gear! I'm thinking a mid 1953 impression next, in honor of my Uncle this time. Burlap helmet cover, flak vest, lace up combat boots.... I am actually going to see him tomorrow so I'll see if he doesn't mind talking a bit.

Bryan - where in MA are you? I'm right on the border of MA and RI here in CT and I attend school in Boston.

Thanks again for the comments everyone!

Rob

Bryan - where in MA are you? I'm right on the border of MA and RI here in CT and I attend school in Boston.

Rob - we probably live pretty close to each other... I live on the MA/RI line and am pretty close to CT. I will send you a PM sometime this week. Looking forward to talking with you. Always nice to find someone in the same "neck of the woods" who is of similar mindset and into doing it right!

Bryan

• 1 month later...

Great pictures !! :thumbsup:

That going to help me a lot, because I started to collect uniforms and equipment of the Korean war.But for the moment I start from zero. I've got only the shirt and a suspender who is dated of 1952.

craig_pickrall

If you are just starting to do the Korean War then you should get a copy of US Army Uniforms of the Korean War by Shelby Stanton. That will tell you just about everything you will need to know.

• 7 months later...
2ndInf.Div.

You, sir, have a great impression! I as well strive to honor my grandfather by using whatever he would have used (he has A LOT of pictures from when he was in the service). So far my impression is all original except for my M1 Carbine bayonet, which I picked up for $45 at a gun show. Again, great impression and keep up the good work!

Don't forget the Ike or Service dress for the long awaited rotation back to the ZI. Did he fly back or ride the boat? Does he have some knick knacks from a Tokyo stop over on the way home? You already have a great outfit to get him talking, see what tips he might have for you. Good luck. Outstanding recreation.