Army-Navy "E" Award

1917enfield

1917enfield

Again, I found another piese of history that I want to share. Info on this pin is below. Full info just copy and paste link provided.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army-Navy_%E2...%E2%80%99_Award

The Army-Navy "E" Award was an honor presented to a company during World War II for excellence in production of war equipment. The award was also known as the Army-Navy Production Award. The award would consist of a pennant for the plant and emblems for all employees in the plant at the time the award was made. The pennant was triangular swallowtail with a white border, with a capital E within a yellow wreath of oak and laurel leaves on a vertical divided blue and red background. ARMY is on the red background and NAVY on the blue background.

Usually an Army officer and a Navy officer would be present at a ceremony when a company would assemble all the employees and a ceremony would ensue. After the award of the pennant to the plant (to be flown), the employees present would receive their pins. A total of 4,283 companies received the award in the course of the war.[1] This amounted to about 4% of the companies engaged in war work. Plants with continuing excellent work were awarded stars to add to their pennant. A handful of plants earned up to six stars by the end of the war. The Army-Navy "E" Award program was terminated after the war ended.

Leatherwringer
Nice colors Leatherwringer..

I wonder how many different versions/variations there are of this award.........

post-6975-1308523409.jpg

A few from the collection, notice the different size of the standard "E" award . Seems shipyards and other manufactures received "E" awards, one is marked "Revere" on the back and the other is Naval Gun Factory.

Leatherwringer
A few from the collection, notice the different size of the standard "E" award . Seems shipyards and other manufactures received "E" awards, one is marked "Revere" on the back and the other is Naval Gun Factory.

nice! thanks for the picture and info!

• 2 weeks later...

On June 21st, 1944, Ford's Iron Mountain plant gained the Army-Navy E Award for quality of their CG-4A cargo gliders.

• 2 weeks later...
Got da Penny

Here are a few more.

Anyone have one of these for sale ??

post-633-1310773873.jpg

Enamel Version.

post-633-1310773886.jpg

post-633-1310773895.jpg

Carey

• 4 months later...

Hello,

Here's an E Award grouping from a local vet who worked while going to high school. Graduated in June 44, drafted right afterwards, trained, and went to the ETO with the 86th ID. It includes the company program for the award ceremony, the idividual award certificate, and the card the pin was attached to (as pictured in a post above).

CR :)

post-772-1322202324.jpg

• 1 year later...

I think that the reference to Merchant Marine may be in error. The Maritime Commission made awards for the production of ships - all kind of ships, including aircraft carriers, LCI's, LCM's, etc, as well as merchant ships like Liberty Ships and Victory ships. I recently stumbled into a stack of newspapers from a shipyard in Portland, OR and there are alot of mentions of the Maritime Commission and Admiral Land, who seems to have directed at least West Coast shipbuilding orders.

• 5 months later...
ocsfollowme

I'll raise you one. This is the only 10k version that I have ever seen in my 8-years of collecting military items. Made by D&C...not sure who they are. I stick primarily to patches. But I have a huge gold collection.

I am embarrased. I was staining wood yesterday. Dirty hands!

3529717_orig.jpg4067646_orig.jpg

• 1 year later...

The Navy "E" Award and the Army "A" Award were created around July 1941 and lasted until the creation of the Army-Navy E Award in July 1942 which continued until August 1945. There were basically two types of Navy "E" award pins given to the companies for meeting production quotas. One version is a generic unnamed pin. The other has the company listed on the back. Below are two different types. One is generic made by Jostens Jewelers. The other was awarded to Morgan Engineering and has no makers mark. Incidentally the Morgan pin was given to my Grandfather for his work at Morgan Engineering in OH. As I understand it individual workers normally got the smaller "E" banner pins on a nice card. For some reason Gramps got two shields at different points of his employment with Morgan. He later moved to a different company and unknown to him was designing and drawing tools and parts for the Manhattan Project. He didn't find out until well after the war.

He told me he always wore his "Exempt" pin when he was out in the public. He didn't want folks to think he somehow dodged the draft. He tried to sign up several times but he was a Master Draftsman and was considered to be an essential skills individual. The funny part is the EXEMPT pin is from WW1. Lord only knows where he got it.

post-124172-0-76904100-1413320741.jpgpost-124172-0-93614500-1413320742.jpg