1960s 7 pocket m16 bandoleer

Justin

Does anyone have any info on 1960s dated 7 pocket m16 bandoleers? I've never seen a 60's dated one, all the ones I've seen have been 70's dated 70 - 75, where they stamped with 60's dates? Just a DSA? unmarked? Anyone have any they can post?

Thanks, Justin

In November 1967 1st Cav Division receive 7 pocket bandoleer for testing, so this is why there is no early 60's dated.

Here is two example of M3 bandoleer marking from my collection

th_556bandoleerD.jpgth_556bandoolerC.jpg

The 5.56mm seven-pocket cotton BANDOLEER, M3 (FSN 1305-924-3088) was standardized on 25 June 1964.

In November 1967 1st Cav Division receive 7 pocket bandoleer for testing, so this is why there is no early 60's dated.

I hate to be the one to point out your mis-interpretation of the above information but, the 09 November 1967 date comes from Stanton's book U.S. Army Uniforms of the Vietnam War and the information is actually presented not as "receiving" but instead as follows:

"
On 9 November 1967, the 1st Cavalry Division favorably concluded evaluation of stripper clip ammunition: pre-packaged 5.56mm ball M193 10-round clip bandoleers, which allowed soldiers to load their ammunition quickly and easily.
"

Stanton states "concluded evaluation". He does not state when the evaluation began or when the 1st Cavalry Division "received" the "stripper clip ammunition". Which obviously would have to be BEFORE 09 November 1967. Further, Stanton does not list a reference to this date. Normally Stanton was good about listing his reference material when specific dates are quoted. I have most all of his original reference material and have found that he did interpret some material "liberally" and has stretched some of the material to fit his needs. Without the notation of the original source material, Stanton's interpretation of what "stripper clip ammunition" is, and whether or not it is specifically referring to the M3 bandoleer, is ambiguous at best.

Justin, what dates are you referring to? The date stamp normally found on the back of the bandoleer (like those examples posted by Nervous) or the contract date code found within the lot markings on the front?

I have found, through research, that the M3 bandoleer was manufactured by different contractors and then later sold to the ammunition manufacturer (such as Lake City). The date on the back appears to be the OEM date of manufacture while the contract date contained within the lot information (on the front) is that of the ammunition manufacturer. And these dates may be years apart.

There is no problem, I'm not so good in English, that is way I make this mistake. Thank You for correcting me.

I'm learning every day.

When You found info that M3 was standardized on 25 June 1964?

I have around here somewhere, a short M-14 type six pocket M-2 bandoleer made in the mid '60s marked for 5.56 M-193 10rd clips, I'll have to dig it up.

I did try to fill it up, but the 10rd clips are very tight, and stretch the pockets open.

My question about the 7 pocket ones are where they marked with a clear 60's date, dsa or just unmarked? All the ones I've seen are always 70's dated.

I don't need any info on the smaller 6 pocket ones.

I have several 'Nam dated 7-pocket bandoleers. Most are dated 1970, but a couple are dated 1967 and one is 1969 I believe. It's surprising to see that you guys have only found the 6-pocket versions as I doubted those existed for years before stumbling on one.

My theory on why the 1960's bandoleers are so hard to find has to do with the ammo itself. By 1968 - 1969 the Army had discovered that the powder used for the 5.56 mm ammo was the main culprit in the M-16's jamming problems. Stocks of 5.56 mm were destroyed (probably by lot number) as they switched powders in the ammo.

I had a full can of 1970 dated 5.56 ammo years ago. All the bandoleers had the M193 nomenclature and lot markings on the front completed "X'd" out and a separate lot number and nomenclature was stamped in its place. I've had subsequent 1970 bandoleers that were the same. I wondered why this would be the case. I think it is because the ammo was destroyed by lot, but the bandoleers were used for a subsequent lot. Although this is only a theory, it is the best explanation I can come up with for why 1960's bandoleers are so scarce and why those 1970 bandoleers had such strange markings.

I'll post pics when I get a chance.

1969 dated bandoleer. Note the crossed out lot number and the new one a couple panels down.

post-48564-1309583296.jpg