Zane Schlemmer, HQ Co, 2nd Bn, 508th PIR

Salvage Sailor

Salvage Sailor

My neighbor in brief:

Assigned to the 81mm Mortar Platoon of Headquarters Company, 2nd Battalion during World War II.

Bronze Star Medal, Purple Heart Medal with oak leaf cluster, Parachute Wings with two bronze stars, Combat Infantry Badge, Presidential Unit Citation, Good Conduct Medal, National Defense Service Medal, American Campaign Medal, Europe-Africa Campaign Medal with arrowhead and four bronze battle stars, WWII Victory Medal, WWII Occupation Medal, French Fourragere, Belgian Fourragere, and the Militaire Willems Orde Degree of Knight from Holland. In 1977, the French people of Picauvi1le, Normandy, France created a permanent bronze plaque at the field in which he landed on June 6, 1944 and also named the adjoining road “Rue Zane Schlemmer” in his honor.

Recalled for the Korean Conflict, he was Sergeant Major of the Ordnance Corps Research and Development Division, Guided Missile School at Aberdeen Proving Grounds, Maryland.

Zane is quite a guy, check out his facebook page, especially the 'Notes' section in which he has posted his first hand recollections of actions in Normandy, Holland & the Bulge.

Zane Schlemmer Facebook

Latest photo from the D-Day celebration in 2011

Zane_Schlemmer.jpg

Zane_Schlemmer_2.jpg

General Apathy

post-344-1308309003.jpg

My neighbor in brief:

Assigned to the 81mm Mortar Platoon of Headquarters Company, 2nd Battalion during World War II.

Bronze Star Medal, Purple Heart Medal with oak leaf cluster, Parachute Wings with two bronze stars, Combat Infantry Badge, Presidential Unit Citation, Good Conduct Medal, National Defense Service Medal, American Campaign Medal, Europe-Africa Campaign Medal with arrowhead and four bronze battle stars, WWII Victory Medal, WWII Occupation Medal, French Fourragere, Belgian Fourragere, and the Militaire Willems Orde Degree of Knight from Holland. In 1977, the French people of Picauvi1le, Normandy, France created a permanent bronze plaque at the field in which he landed on June 6, 1944 and also named the adjoining road “Rue Zane Schlemmer” in his honor.

Recalled for the Korean Conflict, he was Sergeant Major of the Ordnance Corps Research and Development Division, Guided Missile School at Aberdeen Proving Grounds, Maryland.

Zane is quite a guy, check out his facebook page, especially the 'Notes' section in which he has posted his first hand recollections of actions in Normandy, Holland & the Bulge.

Zane Schlemmer Facebook

Hi Salvage-Sailor, thanks for your topic post, I was extremely pleased to meet up with your neighbour D. Zane Schlemmer here in Normandy this year.

What a fireball of youth he has, he's fully active and his mind wizard sharp, greatly enjoyed the conversation I had with him. :thumbsup: I also hope that his comment on leaving my house ' see you next year ' occurs. ;)

give him my regards, and please let him know that I did as I promised and added his photo's to the forum here at the link that Johan has added in the previous post to this.

cheers lewis

• 1 year later...
Salvage Sailor

Posted today on Zane's facebook pages

Zane Schlemmer (on left) showing off his uniform during World War II.

To his right is Paul Winger who was also from North Canton, Ohio.

Pauls wife worked at the Hoover plant with Zanes father Raymond Schlemmer.

Paul was killed in action the same day Zane was wounded in the fight for hill 131.

Zane saw Paul killed and wondered how he was going to tell Pauls wife

Zane Schlemmer.jpg

Salvage Sailor

March 1945 Sissone, France Tent City. There are 18 men in this picture.

These are all that is left from the original Headquarters Company 2nd Btn. 508 PIR of the 82nd airborne.

There were originally 206 men that made up the company

Zane Schlemmer is front row end on right

Zane Schlemmer 02.jpg