Picked up 4 USMC Squadron Patches

Steve Brannan

Steve Brannan

I picked up these US Marine Squadron patches a couple of weeks ago and am wondering how old they are. I know they are after WWII because the squadron number was not usually on the WWII ones and the VMFA (Marine Heavier than Air Fighter Attack) designation did not come out until after the war. They all have the same kind of backing material. Will post that next. Does anyone have a definite time period for these patches. When did the FA designation start. Any help would be appreciated. The Death Rattlers patch is 5 1/2 inches tall.

post-1848-1308250548.jpgpost-1848-1308250534.jpg

Steve

Nice patches.I am saying japanese made.If you could post a bigger or individual shot of each patch maybe others can chime in.Im still thinking japanese ones.

RD

The VMFA designation came out with the introduction of the F4 Phantom fighter. So yes it was used during the Vietnam period. These look anywhere from late 60's to early 70's. They were made this way in Japan for a while. The VMA-214 actually flew A4 skyhawks. - Jeff

Here are the approximate dates that they received their F4 Phantoms and changed to VMFA

122 - 1966

232 - 1967

323 - 1965