15th AAF, 99th BG, 347th BS 1944-45

KVSkelton

Greetings all! I have some items that belonged to a B-17 pilot who served with the 15th Army Air Force, 99th Bombardment Group, 347th Bomb Squadron. His name is Gordon E. McKnight.

My request to NARA turned up no information. With the great assistance of Cobrahistorian (Jon) I've acquired some information regarding this pilot, including 5 complete mission reports. I would really like to have a photo of this pilot to put on display with his items or at least a few photos of the aircraft he served on. Here is the information that I have from the mission reports:

Date: 4OCT44 Aircraft: 42-38209 (Earthquake McGoon) Target: Munich (West Marshalling Yard) Crew: L.H. Wileman Positon: Co-Pilot as a Flight Officer

Date: 7OCT44 Aircraft: 42-32033 (Lost 13OCT44) Target: Vienna (Lobau Oil Refinery) Crew: L.H. Wileman Position: Co-Pilot as a Flight Officer

Date:12OCT44 Aircraft: 42-32046 (Lil' Abner) Target: Bologna (Bivouac area South of) Crew: L.H. Wileman Positon: Co-Pilot as a Flight Officer

Date: 6NOV44 Aircraft: 43-6636 Target: Kapfenberg (Steel Works) Crew: L.H. Wileman Positon: Co-Pilot as a 2nd Lt.

Date: 16NOV44 Aircraft: 43-6636 Target: Munich (West Marshalling Yard) Crew: L.H. Wileman Position: Co-Pilot as a 2nd Lt.

McKnight was awarded an Oak Leaf for his Air Medal on 24FEB45 for missions from 12OCT44 to 1FEB45. I know that he ended the war as a 1st Lt, so he may or may not have finished the war in Wileman's crew. He went on to serve as a Captain in either the USAF or USAF Reserves. He passed away in 2008.

I do not have access to a copy of the 99th Diamondbacks book, unfortunately. Thanks for reading this far and for any help you might be able to give!

Kevin

As an aside, if any of you need AAF research I highly recommend hiring Jon to assist! He does great work.

Johnny Signor

I would suggest you contact the "Reunion" page on the net for the Group, they usually have archives of thier unit members,missions etc and should be able to help you with his photo etc .

Good luck !

Johnny

I would suggest you contact the "Reunion" page on the net for the Group, they usually have archives of thier unit members,missions etc and should be able to help you with his photo etc .

Good luck !

Johnny

Thanks for the reply and suggestion, Johnny! The website for the 99th BG was down for a while but I checked again after your suggestion and found it to up and running once more.

Kevin